The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pager notifications for service failures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShirazDindar, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ShirazDindar

ShirazDindar Member

Hello!

A search of these forums suggests that I am not the only one that is experiencing pager notification problems. There is an official bug: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=3539 . However, this bug is supposed to be fixed as of release 14975 (I am running 15076).

To be sure, pager notifications *do* work, just not for service failures. For example, I set the pager minimum alert priority to low (in the Contact Manager), and then created a new account on the server, and was notified by both email and pager, as expected. But I then killed a service, and received the warning via email, but not also via pager.

Cpanel tech support told me that service failure warnings are part of the "disk integrity check" in the Contact Manager, for which the priority is set to high, so clearly I should have received a warning via pager.

I'm thinking either that what Cpanel tech support told me was wrong (I mean, why wouldn't they have a separate field for service failures?) and in fact service failures are handled separately from the Contact Manager overall, and is buggy in and of itself... OR, what Cpanel tech support told me was right, but "disk integrity check" is somehow buggy itself.

Has *anyone* managed to get pager warnings for service failures? If so, how do you have it set?

Any other insight would be appreciated. This bug has gone on for years...

Thanks,

Shiraz

2. ShirazDindar

ShirazDindar Member

Okay, further research:

In the Basic Cpanel/WHM setup screen,

I set my pager email address in the server contact e-mail address, and it informed me when I killed a service.

So Cpanel support on was wrong -- service failures are not handled at all in the Contact Manager section, ie. not by the "disk integrity" field. They seem to be handled separately, and the only way I've been able to get pager notifications for service failures is to put my pager email address in the server contact e-mail address field.

Actually I went further and put a special address there that forwards both to my email and to my pager, so I can get notified by both methods for a service failure.

Problem solved! But I still think Cpanel needs to clean this up to behave like it's *supposed* to behave. Ideally they'll have a "service failures" field in the Contact Manager.

Peace,

Shiraz

3. ShirazDindar

ShirazDindar Member

Actually this problem never was solved...

ho... hum.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Works here for us. Reboot the server and I'll be notified (by mail and cell) on every service found not to be running during the reboot, as an example.

5. ShirazDindar

ShirazDindar Member

Actually it turns out it *is* working now. A test has confirmed this. I'm not sure when it started working again, as it wasn't by the date on it was marked to have been fixed in the bug tracker.