The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paging Chirpy! Mail Question for the guru

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by knipper, Oct 26, 2006.

1. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Hi Chirpy...

I have implemented many of your server suggestions including mailscanner, etc. Recently I created a new e-mail account via cpanel and did some testing. I am getting a unusual bounce and hope you can point me the right direction as I looked at several files and don't see why this is not geting through.

Below is what I get returned to my sending e-mail address. I have changed the addresses for public use...
    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <mynewaddress@mydomain.com>
    (reason: 550-X-RBL-Warning: 65.32.5.133 is in a blacklist at spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net.)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to mydomain.com.:
    >>> DATA
    <<< 550-X-RBL-Warning: 65.32.5.133 is in a blacklist at spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net.
    <<< 550 http://www.dnsbl.us.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/lookup?js&IP=65.32.5.133
    550 5.1.1 <mynewaddress@mydomain.com>... User unknown
    <<< 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

It appears the IP 65.32.5.133 is one of the servers from my ISP (RoadRunner) that passes the message to my server, and my server is not accepting the message.

I checked my rules list bit don't see that I am using sorbs.net for blacklists. So it must be in a file I am not seeing.

Anything else you can tel me about the above error? I can send e-mail to the new address from several other accounts, even gmail and hotmail that sometimes get blocked.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

2. knipper

Hey Chirpy...

Updated info. If I send from the same originating e-mail address where the bounce occurs, to a domain on the same sever that uses a catch all... the e-mail goes through. However If I send to a POP enabled specific account (On different domains) I get a bounce as described above.

Let me know if you need additional info! Looking forward to your reply. :D

3. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    check your exim configuration

4. knipper

Thanks SageBrian!

I had forgotten I had installed a custom ACL for dictionary attacks & spam, etc. One of the blacklists it used is way to strict, blacklisting entire IP blocks from ISP's like Roadrunner, comcast, etc. and with so many people using broadband these days, it causes a lot of legitimate e-mail from customers to get bounced, and not get delivered to my server. Unfortunately... spam will probably go up some as well.

:)