The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painfully Stupid Newbie Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ipet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. ipet

ipet Member

Okay, laugh away:confused: then help, please.

I have a virtual dedicated server and clueless on setup. I would like to learn to do a few things and not pay someone else, but it is overwheling so far.

So I have 2 easy questions.

1. How do I access files outside of public_html? I know, I know, but like php.ini, for example. In cPanel those directories don't show in file manager, nor when I connect via ftp. How do I get to them?? It should be painfully obvios but...

2. Every doc tells me to change something, then run a command. Like:
    but I don't know how, or where to "run" that command. Can someone tell me, as if I were a 5 year-old?:D

Thanks to anyone for taking the time to enlighten me.

Lena

2. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Oh.. I feel sympathy for you for even using a Plesk command. You poor poor soul.
    For the most part, the easiest way to do the things you are asking is through SSH. It's a terminal interface for logging into your server. PuTTy is really the simplest one to use, and it's even free.
    Another option is to use a web interface that is set up to handle file editing and has some built-in features... for example, I have Webmin set up on my cPanel (and *sigh* yes, my Plesk trashbox too) for quick access to various server commands that don't warrent logging into SSH for.

3. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. Access the files outside of public_html can be done via FTP if you login using ssh access, (Check the settings for the connections. You can use CoreFTP or as stated above use a ssh program like puTTy, or contact Chirpy and have get his File Manager Console then you can use a browser to access via the files like file manager.

2. Those run commands are done via a shell connection with ssh program like puTTy.

I would be very careful running command that you do not know what the outcome will be.

4. ipet

ipet Member

Thanks!

Wow, thanks.

While I did connect with SSH I couldn't figure out how to get to the directory. So I connected via ftp and downloaded the php.ini.

But when I try and upload it I can not, it continues to ask to overwrite, yet it will not. I can not delete the original php.ini either.

How can I get that replaced?

5. ipet

ipet Member

more

This is becoming more and more frustrating.

So I couldn't overwrite my php.ini via ftp, why?

So I connected via putty and opend the file using vi, I figured out to replce the max upload and pressed esc, then :wq to write and quit. Got an error saying I had read only. Why, and how to change that? Anyway, tyed :!wq as prompted and got another error saying "couldn't open the file"???

Any suggestions on getting this taken care of? Can it really be so difficult?

Thanks again,

Lena

6. ipet

ipet Member

nothing?

93 views and nothing, it is harder than I though to change permissions on it!

7. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    open a ssh window as root user or su to root

8. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Most likely you are trying to write to the file when you dont have permission to do so. Are you logged in as root user?