The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(panic) Ideas on why domains not working?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ishware, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Problem: After datacenter tech did something, domains that were workign FINE on my server now don't resolve! :-(

History:

I was following advice found in another thread about hardening my server. I edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config to change the SSH port, forgetting that since I'd already installed APF, I locked myself out of SSH (i.e. SSH port being blocked by APF). Yes, stupid mistake.

So the datacenter tech who had to go to the machine didn't understand the concept of making ROOT not be able to login via SSH. That is, I log in via another username, then 'su' to root...

I know that they didn't merely undo my changes to that config file, because my other changes were COMPLETELY undone, and the file is obviously reset to the oritinal - they restored it from somewhere.

Can anyone think of anything I can check to see why my domains aren't working now?

At first, ALL other domains were down. But now, without me diong anything, SOME of them are back up, but SOME of them are not! and that has stabalized -- the problem started about 5 hours ago, and for the last couple of hours, nothing has changed.

Any ideas on what to check? I am somewhat of a newbie -- though hey, at least I figured out what I did wrong on locking myself out... :-p I've done windows tech support for Microsoft, I'm just not a Linux/server guy - I'm still learning!

Any ideas would be massively appreciated!

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well, first off get a better datacenter. ;)

Check to ensure named is up and running
    #service named status

Run a domain through dnsreport.com to see what it shows.
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=DOMAIN.COM

Are you able to ping the domain from the server itself?
    #ping domain.com

Check apache httpd.conf to ensure domain has the correct ip.

Also if those that are having trouble are on seperate IP's, ensure that those IP's are still bound to your server
    #ifconfig -a

That would be the start, also if you are able to supply a domainname here so others can help investigate further if required.

3. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First, THANK YOU for your help!

I know some EXTREMELY basic tshooting, but... client-side, really. heh.

Yeah, yeah... /me BEATS YOU... hehehhee

But seriously, maybe it's a problem that existed before,and... maybe they hardbooted the server or soemthing!?!? Bah. heh.
    # service named status
    number of zones: 41
    debug level: 0
    xfers running: 0
    xfers deferred: 0
    soa queries in progress: 0
    query logging is OFF
    server is up and running

So I assume that's running. :)
    NS FAIL NS A timeout occurred getting the NS records from your nameservers! None of your nameservers responded fast enough. They are probably down or unreachable. I can't continue since your nameservers aren't responding. If you have a Watchguard Firebox, it's due to a bug in their DNS Proxy, which must be disabled..

so... my nameserver may be the issue here. ARGH. But, I continued, and:

I cannot ping the nonworking domain.

And when I ping the nonworking IP, I get Destination Host Unreachable.

My goodness what a long freakin' file... heh.

I can find my domain with the correct IP, so looks like that's okay.

That may be the problem. How would the multiple IPs show up? I see my main IP on eth0, and I see loopback on lo which makes sense I guess...

Well, I didn't want to for security, but... guess can't be too much harm...

Server's main domain: nullusanxietas.com
    main IP: 209.67.212.74

Example non-working domain: daychilde.com
    daychilde.com's IP that was working last night ARGH!: 209.67.212.78

I can see all my IP addresses in WHM...

suggestions? :)

Many many thanks... I think we're getting somewhere...

4. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    BTW, I'm googling for info on how to bind IPs, but... because of "BIND", I'm not coming up with anything, and I don't know how to accomplish the task, much less make sure I don't break cPanel. heh.

I wish I knew what the DC did!

But it's also possible I didn't have something set up right, and if they did a hard boot, maybe I lost something that had been working. I've done reboots via WHM, but I assume that's a soft boot, at most...

5. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there something I should add to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?

Only the main IP appears in that file.

6. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

First, your NS2 nameserver doesn't not seem to be responding... at least not right now. Do you even have a nameserver running on that ip?

Second... your second domain's nameserver's ip addresses seem to be incremented from your main nameserver ips. That's not likely the correct method of setting up namserver's. You should use the same ips for these nameservers as you have for the nameservers on your main domains. You can change the domain name for the nameservers, but have them use the same ips. And make sure you have a nameserver (Bind/Named) configured to run on those ips.

Basically and generally, you should only be using those two ips for all the domains on your server... unless you know you want to be doing something different.

So it looks like you'll have to edit the zone file for the second domain and change the ips for its nameservers to match the ips of the main domain's nameservers. And find out why the second main domain nameserver doesn't seem to be responding.

#6 dezignguy, Dec 19, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  7. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

A crazy thought .....

What happens if you stop apf, restart named, wait a few minutes and then do a check of the questioned domain(s) via dnsreport?

Very possible that your DC might have altered your apf config file and the appropriate ingress/egress udp/tcp ports are not available?

8. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, I think the problem is more basic -- I can't even PING that IP, so I think that whether or not I have a NS running is immaterial.

However, as far as I am aware, NS was running before, since it was all working. When I updated domains a couple of *months* ago (just to ensure nobody thinks it's a propagation issue.. hehhe), the registrar seemed to find the NS fine - and I know it checked because when I first set up the server, I hadn't configured a secondary NS, and it *didn't* recognize it. :)

Unfortunately, that's the most techical answer I can give ATM, because with WHM's automation, I don't know for sure how to make SURE I have NS running on that IP. But again, I think it's not the root problem at this time. :-D

Well, it's how WHM allocated the IPs, rightly or wrongly. WHM didn't appear to give me any control over what IP was allocated to what NS, either.

Does that make sense? i.e., I used WHM to set up the NS...

9. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Certainly worth a shot.

Okay, stopped APF and restarted named. (I'm such a n00b I had to go google how the @#$%#$ to do that, b/c I don't have it memorized, although at least it looked familiar so I knew I found the right command... *sigh*)

After a couple of minutes, it hasnt helped so far... but I'll keep trying.

But, if I can't even ping the ip from the server itself, wouldn't that be a more basic problem than this?

Honestly, I'm just asking, using the tech support experience I have (from the field I DO know)... (shrug)

ping coming back "Destination Host Unreachable" on my .78 IP address... (in SSH on the server)...

10. dezignguy

Stopping your firewall temporarily to rule out that issue is a good idea... though I don't see why it would stop access on just one ip. But strnager things have happened.

Right... I see... well, I hated how WHM setup my nameservice. So i went through the config a number of times til i figured out what it was doing and how to get it to do what I wanted to. Unfortunately, I don't particularly remember what I did. But there's no reason to use 4 ips, (that are all on the same server I'd assume), for nameservers. You'd only need 2 ips used by your nameservers - for all domains on that server... (and only because of the 2 NS requirement and not because of any technical benefit of having two ns - since you have them both on the same server).

11. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My gut feeling from before was an IP issue, because the three domains on the main server IP are working, and EVERYTHING else fails................

12. dezignguy

Yes, it really sounds like there's no service responding on that ip...

Since you call yourself noob at running a server (at least for Linux), I'd highly recommend that you hire one of the server management companies (there are quite a number of them around) to look at this issue, and also to secure and maintain your server for you until such time as you can step up to the task. And setup a similar test box for yourself, to play around with at home and learn about what to do and what not to do, etc.

I have to get going now. Hope you get it worked out.

13. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    via WHM, I removed and added an IP address, and the domain on that IP started working.

WTF?

But I'm working through them now....

But what if the server gets rebooted? Might I have something set up wrong??!!

14. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not much choice there - this box is for myself and some friends... heh.

Had to get a cheap box to be able to afford it at all...

Meanwhile, thank you for help! It got me going on the right direction (Everyone who helped, thank you!)

15. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Try this..

#ifconfig -a|grep xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <-- Ip having issue.

If it comes up with nothing, go into WHM and re-add those ip's in the IP Functions area.

16. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I didn't get to try that, because I, for grits and shins, long story short, readded the nonworking IPs in WHM.

Bastich somehow lost `em. Well, they were there, in RED. ???

Ah, well...

So, meanwhile, my test domain - daychilde.com - STILL isn't working.

So I have another problem with it. DNS type problem.

I can get there via 209.67.212.78, just not via daychilde.com. *rolls eyes*

But at least all my friend's domains are up, so I'm no longer in a blind panic. heh.

17. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Looking at the dnsreport a couple of things...

1. Are the nameservers associated with daychilde.com registered at the registrar?

2. Are they setup on your server?

3. It could be just a matter of waiting for propagation (but doubt it)

I can do a 'dig' from toronto on ns1.daychilde.com but not on ns2 or daychilde.com

I would check the zone files for that domain to ensure everything is correct as well.

18. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They are.

They are set up -- thought I'd try the same trick as the IP issue - delete and re-add, and WHM says it can't b/c they're still registered at the registrar...

No, definately not. This domain has been working perfectly fine for a couple of months on this server. And as with the problem above - I didn't change anything, although it looks like SOMETHING broke... heh.

Not sure what I'm looking for so much, but I'll poke around in the zone and see what's there. :-D Should post in a bit...

19. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Browser issue -- one final reboot, and it works.

Because I decided to test it from my dad's computer, and it worked from there. heh.

WOOT! All problems solved!

I wish I knew what made the darned thing un-bind all the IPs, but hey- it'sa working!

D'oh.

Many many MANY thanks to ALL of you who helped!!!

20. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    try

service ipaliases start