The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper Lantern - ID and CLASS Tags

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by PCZero, Oct 11, 2016.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I have dug into PL a lot more recently and there are some css coding flaws that make it very difficult to customize PL to any real degree.

The 1st is that the programming team does not know how to properly use an ID and a CLASS tags in a DIV or other element. Many of the links use the same ID which violates programming rules in and of itself and leads to making it impossible to use custom icons next to each individual link.

Example on the main PL page, the link in the main menu to Edit Contact Information AND the link at the bottom of the page for Top Of Page both use ID="lnkUserPrefUpdateContactInfo"! SO now we cannot use a custom icon for either of those objects because it will change both! IDs are supposed to be unique! Can we get someone to review all of teh code to ensure we are not using invalid CSS elsewhere so customization will be easier?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @PCZero,

I've moved this post into it's own thread so we can address it as it's own issue. Would you mind opening a support ticket using the link in my signature? We'd like to take a closer look at your findings to determine if an internal case is necessary. You can post the ticket number here and we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

3. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Michael sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. I have been sick as a dog here. I am calling it a day here now, just surfed back to see what all was going on. I'll create a ticket in a day or two when I am feeling better. It might be a good idea to run all of the PL code through a code validator to test for these types of issues though. There is one located at validator.w3.org that is really good.

#3 PCZero, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  4. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Michael should this be a support ticket or a feature request? It is very clear to see where the css IDs are being used improperly. On the main PL screen the Change Contact Information link directly below the header and the Top Of Page link at the bottom rigth hand side of the page use the same ID and thus are forced to use the same icon. I am attempting to use the pencil icon for the Edit link (as appropriate) and the up arrow icon for the Top Of Page (also appropriate) however it is impossible to do so with the improper use of a common ID.

#4 PCZero, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

This has been resolved. A previously installed add on left over bits of code that caused the error.

I do have a related question. I see where we can create a global_footer.html.tt and global_header.html.tt file to opver ride the default header and footer in the standard PL interface without having to create our entire new theme. However I do not see where we can add a styles.css that has additional classes, ect to use in thsoe custom files. How can we do that?

6. cPLevey

cPLevey Technical Analyst Supervisor
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator