The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper Lantern theme isn't working at all

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by 4u123, Feb 3, 2016.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this issue, but we are having the following issue on our servers...

The paper lantern theme is not displaying correctly - it is in fact the X3 theme in almost evey way, except some of the icons are the paper lantern style, some are X3 and some icons are completely missing. I've experienced this on all our servers. It's almost as if the theme isn't fully installed.

So for now we've modified all accounts to switch all users to X3 and set the feature list to disallow them to change the theme.

Unfortunately I've noticed that overnight, some servers appear to switch back all users to paper lantern automatically and I can't find a setting in WHM to control this.

If I go to "Theme Manager" in WHM I see an icon to specifically manage the paper lantern theme, but if I go to "cPanel Manage Themes" or "login Manage Themes" or "webmail Manage Themes" the paper lantern theme is not listed.

I've searched the forums and haven't seen anyone else with this issue. My questions are...

1. What causes all accounts to automatically switch to paper lantern - and how do I prevent this from happening every day?

2. How can I ensure that the paper lantern theme is installed correctly and will display correctly?

I've tried forcing an update but this hasn't done anything. We are running RELEASE 54 (8)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is noted in the cPanel version 54 release notes:

54 Release Notes - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Could you post a screenshot of the missing icons when using the Retro style? You can change the style to the default style for Paper Lantern if you prefer:

User Preferences - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I don't want the "retro style". Either they are on paper lantern - or not. Unfortunately, switching an account to paper lantern results in this weird x3 hybrid theme.

So my question is....

How can we switch all our users to paper lantern without them using this x3 theme that doesn't display all the icons.

I went to "modify / upgrade multiple accounts" in WHM and switched all users to paper lantern - and they are all now using this crappy X3 retro theme that doesn't work properly.

Currently there is no actual full "paper lantern" theme available?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    "Retro" is what's called a "Style" for the Paper Lantern theme. The idea behind the "Retro" style for Paper Lantern is that it's an easier transition for users accustomed to the X3 theme. Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at two issues?

1. While I understand you want to switch away from the "Retro" style, the issues you encounter when viewing it should be addressed.
    2. We can investigate the best way for you to migrate all accounts away from the "Retro" style over to the "Basic" style.

You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome. Please also ensure you review the following blog post for more information about the plan for X3 going forward:

It’s time to say goodbye to X3 | cPanel Blog

Thank you.

5. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You've not taken account of the fact that many hosts don't permit the changing of "styles" in cpanel. It's important for us to keep the interface the same for everyone so that they are easier to support, so we disable the switching of styles.

The default style for the paper lantern theme should be whatever makes it look correctly like the paper lantern theme. You don't want the default style to look like the previous one you just got rid of - especially when half the icons don't actually show up and there is a weird mixture of old and new icons. It sucks.

As usual, you've not thought through things properly before implementing these changes. That happens too often with cpanel.

I need to know how we can enforce the correct display of the paper lantern theme - or how we can keep the old X3 theme please. There is no alternative.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Are all your Packages set to use Paper Lantern?
    Home »Packages »Edit a Package

7. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Yes, all packages are set to paper_lantern

Is the "style" info for each user held in /var/cpanel/users ? I can't see anything in there. I want to enforce the default style so that the correct new paper lantern theme is displayed with the "Basic" style.

#7 4u123, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

So there's no way to enforce the style?

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I don't think there is, I was hoping @cPanelAdamF might pop in on this one for clarification.

I assume that if the account Package is set to use Paper Lantern, and if the option to change style and change theme is removed via Features List for that Package, you are enforcing no option to change anything.

10. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

So just to clarify....

Since this recent update, if we want our customers all to use the paper lantern theme as it was intended, rather than this weird legacy X3 workaround, we have to instruct all of them to login to cpanel and use the "change style" option manually, having enabled that in the feature list.

Clearly the better decision would have been to have the new paper lantern theme display as intended by default (with the "basic" style) and allow the user to switch back to the legacy (x3 retro) version of it if they so wish.

It just doesn't make any sense to take such a step backwards when they have spent time developing this new theme and deprecated the old x3 theme. Producing a new theme that looks by default pretty much the same as the old one, but with less functionality across the whole installation base of their product. It must have been a mistake surely.

I've never heard of anyone introducing a new and better design of their product - yet forcing it to look the same as (if not worse than) the old one, unless the customer decides otherwise. Where's the innovation in that? It's not very "forward thinking".

Also, how would our customers know there is a new and better design available, unless we announce this to them all? People don't generally click the "change style" option each time they login to cpanel, especially if it isn't there.

I'd be interested to know where the users theme "style" choice is stored. If it isn't in /var/cpanel/users - where is it?

11. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The current style of Paper Lantern is not stored as part of the account plan, or account metadata (e.g. /var/cpanel/users/user), rather it is specified by a symlink in the user's home directory:
    Code:
    [ken.dev.cpanel.net - root - /usr/local/cpanelcpanel (11.56)]
    $ ls -lah /home/aae/var/cpanel/styled/
    total 8.0K
    drwxrwxr-x. 2 aae aae 4.0K Sep 24 16:04 .
    drwxrwxr-x. 3 aae aae 4.0K Sep 24 16:04 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 aae aae   58 Sep 24 16:04 current_style -> /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/paper_lantern/styled/retro

Removing that symlink will cause the basic, or default, styling of Paper Lantern to be used.

Infopro likes this.
  12. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Very useful Ken, thanks.

13. PDXMan

PDXMan Registered

We've been using the simplest version of the 3x theme for years (the one without any icons). So to force this "Retro" style of PaperLantern on our customers was really disruptive as it looks nothing at all like what our customers are use to.

It would have been much easier for us to just migrate to the default paper lantern theme style. Now we can't seem to get that to work, only this "Retro" style.

Is there some way in WHM to set the default (non-Retro) paper lantern style for all of our clients? We have 4 servers full of clients and really don't want to do this one at a time.

Thanks.

14. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

rm -rf /home/*/var/cpanel/styled