PaperLantern -- Something a bit Nicer?

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
3) This is where the theme. style, skin, brand, naming convention gets confusing. PL (the theme as opposed to X3) is not what I want to make unavailable. The PL (the style/skin as opposed to Retro or my custom styles/skins) is what I want to make unavailable. The confusion is that cPanel is using the term PL for two different things (or people have started using PL that way when it is incorrect). I would like to be able to offer both a tablet/hand held friendly style/skin and a desktop friendly one as well. Actually I'll have multiple desktop styles/skins as there is really only need for one designed tablets / hand held as all that is is a plain flat generic bland UI.

We have not yet addressed what the log in UI is going to look like for WHM, cPanel, and/or WebMail under these changes. I strongly encourage the cPanel team to allow us 100% customization on how those screen look and feel as well as allowing us to designate both a favicon and a touch_icon for each of these log in screen that are 100% independent of each other.

feldon27

Mar 12, 2003
Houston, TX
Infopro said:
While the Retro Style for Paper Lantern will approximate the appearance of X3, it will not be a perfect implementation. We are providing the Retro Style to ease the transition for users, not as a final destination for users. We may chose to disable new user interface features in the Retro Style rather than forcibly adapt them into this holdover style. A separate deprecation schedule for the Retro Style will be announced in the future.
Ok thank you. I think the future for people who like x3 will be a hybrid style that keeps the new Responsive functionality, but emphasizes our favorite features of x3 such as strong Category Groups, easy-to-recognize Icons, and good information density.

feldon27

Mar 12, 2003
Houston, TX
3) This is where the theme. style, skin, brand, naming convention gets confusing. PL (the theme as opposed to X3) is not what I want to make unavailable. The PL (the style/skin as opposed to Retro or my custom styles/skins) is what I want to make unavailable. The confusion is that cPanel is using the term PL for two different things (or people have started using PL that way when it is incorrect). I would like to be able to offer both a tablet/hand held friendly style/skin and a desktop friendly one as well. Actually I'll have multiple desktop styles/skins as there is really only need for one designed tablets / hand held as all that is is a plain flat generic bland UI.

We have not yet addressed what the log in UI is going to look like for WHM, cPanel, and/or WebMail under these changes. I strongly encourage the cPanel team to allow us 100% customization on how those screen look and feel as well as allowing us to designate both a favicon and a touch_icon for each of these log in screen that are 100% independent of each other.
I agree with you that the Style vs. Theme dichotomy is confusing and makes it harder to even know what we're exactly talking about. :) I understand they're completely different systems and the plan is to phase out Themes altogether so that the user will only see Change Style as a choice in the menu with no Themes dropdown menu on the left. But the current Hybrid situation could have been handled better.

Also, to me, they flip-flopped "Classic" and "Paper Lantern". The new Theme should have been called "cPanel Modern" and then the default Style under that is called "Paper Lantern". A user would then choose "cPanel Modern" and then pick the user-crafted Style they want. Having "Classic" and "Retro" choices under Paper Lantern further confuses things.

feldon27

Mar 12, 2003
Houston, TX
A lot of great announcements for cPanel 54, but I'm curious why Tabs are needed in the new cPanel UI (aka Paper Lantern).

cPanel54-A-Look-Ahead-UI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelAdamF

cPanel Product Owner
Staff member
Mar 21, 2013
Houston TX
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
The new Sidebar that we're adding in v54 will be the place to go for 'higher order' features of your cPanel account; these are things that don't fit among the 'sea of icons' on the main page, nor in the user preferences pulldown at the time. For example, in the screenshot you posted include icons for...
  1. News and Notifications - a single page where system alerts, administrator-created news and other timely alerts can be stored. In the initial release of v54, this page will be pretty simple. We see this system developing into an inbox-like experience where end-users can review messages from throughout the system.
  2. Dashboard - (this is also depicted in the main content area of the screenshot). While the Dashboard will start with lowly beginnings (concentrating on quick access to only the most commonly used areas and displaying quota usage), we anticipate this page becoming much more useful as we fill out a library of optional widgets. Hosting companies will be able to configure the dashboard on behalf of users in addition to users configuring their own dashboard. This is a big change in the UX metaphor for cPanel and we're very excited to see where this approach might lead.
  3. The Sea of Icons - this is the standard home screen everyone is already used to. We're going to start treating this interface as the 'Advanced' navigation view. We've had many many *many* users tell us that the amount of options on this screen is overwhelming and that they don't know how where to start. This is a major problem and leads to account abandonment. Right now in v54 this will remain to be the first page you see after log in. We intend to make that setting configurable by the end user or hosting company.
  4. Sub-user management - Starting in v54, cPanel end-users will be able to manage delegated access to the resources of their account. While v54 won't have full sub-user management, it will be a step in that direction. This is only the most requested features of cPanel on our features site.
  5. Preferences & Settings - (not shown particularly well in that screenshot, but there's a gear icon there at the bottom behind the lens reticle) - This is a centralized location for managing you're account settings. Changing your password, setting up two factor auth, configuring the third-party authentication service, updating your account's contact info, configuring you're alert preferences...all behind this icon.

feldon27

Mar 12, 2003
Houston, TX
Ok have to admit what you've described sounds pretty good. Just the screenshot shown is very information sparse.

Looking forward to see what happens with cPanel Widgets. I hope the Addons section of www.cpanel.net can be beefed up, made more prominent, directly linked from the cPanel Plugins tab of WHM, and just make it impossible for users to miss that cPanel Plugins even exist (something easy to do right now).