The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parked domains do not receive email externally

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cytexone, Sep 23, 2006.

1. cytexone

cytexone Member

Hello

We have been working all day trying to get this working and for the life of us cannot figure it out.

If we park a domain on top of another domain everything seems to work fine. We can create an email account and send email from it perfectly. We can also receive email to that domain/account from another account on the same server (can be a different domain)

If someone externally tries to email that parked domain though nothing happens, no bounce back nothing. The message just dissapears.

MX records are fine, propogation fine. Tried from MANY different external servers none make it through or respond with anything.

The weird part is we unparked the domain and created it's own WHM/Cpanel Account and then all of the messages suddenly came in (even hours after they were sent).

It's as if the messages are sitting on the server with no where to go.

Can anyone help?

Thanks so much

Dan
    CYTEXONE

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You'd really need to watch the exim_mainlog when you send in an email and see what happens to it. One thing to check is that the parked domain is going into /etc/localdomains

3. cytexone

cytexone Member

They are in the /etc/localdomains. I will hopefully get motivated and checkout the exim log to fix this issue. Has anyone else seen this? Or does someone want to do an hour's worth of consulting to fix this?

We are also looking for someone to cluster 2 boxes we have (not just dns) we want the accounts and everything clustered so if there is an issue it can failover with a roaming ip (heartbeat).

It's kind of been setup but needs to be checked and fixed.

Dan

4. Smile Police

Smile Police Registered

Hi ther I have a similar problem.

My main domain name is www.amigoingmad.com.au

I have parked www.innerpeacepublishing.com..au

First of all where do I point the MX record I am not sure I have set this right

If I log onto webmail I send emails to myself it works

I can send emails from webmail to anyone

If send an email externally it boucnes and says it can not be found

Please help regards garth

5. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    After you park the domain on your server, you need to log into your registrar and change the nameservers to point to the nameservers on that machine (or wherever that machine's DNS is done).

If I dig for MX records and the machine IP for amigoingmad.com.au, it points back to 203.26.41.136 - and if I telnet to port 25 of 203.26.41.136, smtp responds with "seth.instanthosting.com.au". If I dig for MX records for innerpeacepublishing.com.au, it points back to 209.97.212.167 - and if I telnet port 25 of 209.97.212.167, smtp responds with "mst.myspecialtuna.com".

So the 'world' doesn't see innerpeacepublishing.com.au as being on the same machine as amigoingmad.com.au. 203.26.41.136 is in australia and 209.97.212.167 is in canada.

So when you try to send mail to some_email@innerpeacepublishing.com.au it is going to a machine in Canada that likely isn't handling mail for that domain any longer, instead of going to the machine in Australia that you have amigoingmad.com.au on.

Mike

Mike

6. Smile Police

Smile Police Registered

I did know how quickly some would repsond so I set up an accout on my own server www.myspecialtuna.com.au and pointed the Name server and the mx record there in the mean time till I figure this one out.

If the domain registrar for amigoingmad.com.au name servers are pointing to ns1.webcity.com.au and ns2.webcity.com.au

Where does the mx record and the name servers have to point for the www.innerpeacepublishing.com.au.

And is there a time lag for this sort of thing

Thanks so much for you help so far

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, one would assume that if ns1.webcity.com.au and ns2.webcity.com.au are authoritative for amigoingmad.com.au, and that innerpeacepublishing.com.au is on the same machine as amigoingmad.com.au as a parked domain, then you would set the nameservers for innerpeacepublishing.com.au to ns1.webcity.com.au and ns2.webcity.com.au.

However, if I query ns1.webcity.com.au directly for information about innerpeacepublishing.com.au and amigoingmad.com.au, that nameserver returns authoritative information for both, but the information is different and points to two different servers. So at this point i'm confused. Looks like you have scattered information for innerpeacepublishing.com.au on multiple distinct nameservers, and none of that information jives with the information that ns1.webcity.com.au has for amigoingmad.com.au. And I would suspect it to jive at least somewhat since you are trying to park innerpeacepublishing.com.au on the amigoingmad.com.au account.

Mike

8. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And yes, there is often a time lag when you change nameservers - and this most notably will occur for those people who have accessed that hostname recently (like the website or by sending mail to that domain). Old cached DNS information can exist for some time (but likely no more than 12 hours). If I had never been to innerpeacepublishing.com.au website before and had never sent mail to taht domain, and then you changed the nameservers on it, I'd see the changes almost instantly - but you, on the other hand, would likely not see the changes instantly because the nameservers you use (probably your ISPs) to resolve those dns queries would still be holding cached dns information that wouldn't expire immediately.

Really not much more I can help you with though - simply because it doesn't make sense to me that you say you've parked innerpeacepublishing.com.au on amigoingmad.com.au but ns1.webcity.com.au says that both sites are on different servers. If innerpeacepublishing.com.au is parked on amigoingmad.com.au, then the both sites should exist on the same server. Like I said, pretty confusing from my vantagepoint.

Mike