The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parked vs. addon (thisdomain.com over thisdomain.thatdomain.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WKMahler, Dec 12, 2004.

1. WKMahler

WKMahler Member

i had been creating a subdomain first, literally with the subdomain feature.

www.subdomain.domain.com

then i'd go over to addon domain, add the actual domain i wanted to point, park and sit over the subdomain so that the surfer would only see domain.com, not the subdomain.domain.com

so if i am correct here, in theory, i ought not had created the subdomain at all and then worked with the addon for addon would have made the subdomain automatically for me?

if so, then that is one part of the addon feature that clearly doesn't state that.

also, when looking at the cpanel documetation regarding addons,

it appears that all addon does is sit over this:

domain.com/page.htm

instead of this.

subdomain.domain.com

as it is stated in the addon function of cpanel, it should make domain.com sit over subdomain.domain.com without anyone fully seeing or seeing at all the domain is but "masking" a subdomain.

also, by parking a domain, i've found that a domain will have email mx entries so that

@thisdomain.com will be what is seen in all headers but the servers will remain

mail.thatdomain.com in the headers or at least in the respective mail client.

and that, thus is good.

however, in parking a domain, what i find is that there is no unique control to determine where a registered domain can be placed within an entire domain.

in relation, the addon feature currently tells me that to take thisdomain.com and sit it over thisdomain.thatdomain.com i have to have the dns servers match the host (thatdomain.com) and they actually do right now as instructed but the "host" does not see that or recognize it.

as of now, a parked domain only points to for example

thisdomain.com is parked to point to thatdomain.com

which lets the surfer go from one domain to another domain, a pointer.

the addon and parked domain function is fine and dandy, i understand the difference between the two.

but in essence, parking a domain is pointing a domain much like addon domain too.

so if i am to choose park a domain, considering that it will be set up so mail can be @thisdomain.com using mail.thatdomain.com servers,

i ought to be able to pick the area where the park domain aka pointed domain is going to go anywhere in the domain, specifically to a subdomain. the "addon" feature.

me, program? ya, only a song playlist! :)

william

2. WKMahler

WKMahler Member

solution diagram

[​IMG]

dreamed this up, hope this example becomes reality in cpanel

william

3. WKMahler

WKMahler Member

any ideas?

i did use the domain over subdomain feature of cpanel yesterda and the domain www.wkmahler.com comes up as can't find dns err via microsofts response.

due to propogation?

dunno for the domain, www.wkmahler.com registered from www.directnic.com for over a year does have the correct dns servers pointed at uptimewebhosting.com as instructed. from inside the supplied cpanel from uptimewebhosting aka isphost.org, pointing my domain to their servers oughta be a matter of a few hours, combined with the fact that the subdomain, www.wkmahler.mahlers.com is already propogated throughout all dns servers.

..the idea that isphost.org states is to host domains, yet i've been verbally told that pointing aka parking aka addon a domain to "mask" a subdomain is allowed.

so even though i've got 9 domains, one being the primary, i oughta be able to take the other 8 and put them over each respective subdomain.

this frees up 9 out of 10 possible domains through the reseller account of isphost.org, if it would only work out to be so.

william

4. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

did you creare all subdomains in cpanel ? http://something.mydomain.com if you cant get this in the browser eg only http://mydomain.com/something/ then the subs arent created

the differnce between a parked and addon domain

parked holds no files and just redirects to the primary domain

addon holds files in subdomain, and addon domain will appear in the address bar browser

addon domains have limitations that is why most resellers use full cpanel accounts , but they can be very useful for small sites.

also run all the subs through dns report and see what it says , the addons should work no problem , provided your host has allowed this .