The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

parking a domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by winner, Jul 30, 2002.

1. winner

winner Member

after parking a domain - how long does it take to &resolve& from domain a to domain b?

is it enough to make the parking on whm, or should i change the dns through my registrar? and if i should do it via my registrar - then what is the use of doing it via whm?

tnx

2. jimcarter

jimcarter Well-Known Member

you have to change the name servers of the domain through your registrar, this will take between 24 and 48 hours to fully work, when you know that the name servers have changed, you can use a dns check tool like www.checkdns.net i think,
    you can park the domain ontop of another one through the control panel, the use of doing it through WHM is that your dns registrar will only change the name servers, and so unless you park the domain through WHM then the name servers wont be authoritative for the domain and you will probably get a dns timeout

3. winner

winner Member

tnx. then it looks simplier to make url redirection via my registrar.

isn't it the same in terms of result?

tnx

4. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Nope

Most 'URL Redirection' from registrars result in them embedding the 'a' host within a frameset. They don't control the local DNS that identifies your IP addresss, so it will not be the same thing. They also don't usually establish MX records, so you won't be able to receive email at the 'b' address for the 'a' address .

5. winner

winner Member

i see. thank u very much.:)