The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parsing html as php - security issues?

Discussion in 'Security' started by morrow95, Apr 16, 2011.

1. morrow95

morrow95 Well-Known Member

I would like to know everyones thought on parsing html/htm as php. For quite some time I have been using :

AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

I have heard both sides of the story... some say its harmless... others say its a huge no-no security issue. The reason I ask is because I will be moving to suphp soon which led me to lots of things such as 755 folders, 644 files, AddHandler, and a bunch of other stuff.

So, is it a security issue / has repercussions or not? Due to the age of my sites and them being 'html' I would prefer to stay that way along with a few other reasons.

Since I am going to a new server and will be making changes I might as well do everything at once right?

2. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have personally never heard any sort of security issues that can come about from parsing html as php. But then again, this may just be one of those things you would want to proceed with caution on.

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not aware of security issues. However, delivery of HTML content would potentially be slower if you force it to be processed through PHP. Let Apache handle HTML natively and avoid any extra overhead of having it pumped through PHP.

M