The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partial Restore of Emails

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by techwright, Feb 19, 2015.

1. techwright

techwright Registered

Feb 18, 2015
    Milton, Wisconsin, United Stat
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am trying to restore emails from a backup on cpanel for just one folder inside of a user's mailbox. I am a user of a major hosting provider and fairly inexperienced in using cpanel. There is a restore feature in cpanel but it wants to restore all the email and gives me a scary message saying that all email will be overwritten with the backup if I click the button. I've tried with the support from the company and they haven't been responding to me. So, I have two questions:

1. If I do the restore of the emails inside of cpanel, will it wipe out all of my mailboxes and replace them with the information from the backup I'm using? (Meaning I will lose all emails in the system since the backup) Or will it simply add in all the emails from the backup that aren't currently on the server?

2. I downloaded the complete cpanel backup in zip and tar formats to my local machine. I can see the emails that I need to restore in the folder in the compressed files. However, I'm having trouble extracting them and uploading them due to illegal characters in the file names. I had the understanding that I could just FTP the missing emails up to the appropriate folder under /mail/ and they would be restored. I'm unable to get them to upload though. I've tried on windows and linux. Is there another option to do this?

I would prefer to do the option in question one, however I have to get it done by tomorrow or the backup that I want to restore from will be overwritten on my hosting provider by another weekly backup and with the level of support I'm receiving from them I don't think I can get them to save/restore the backup for me.

I appreciate any help with this.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. Yes, you will lose existing email data as it's replaced with the data from the backup archive.

2. Do you have SSH access on your account? If so, you should be able to extract the archive and then manually move those files into place via SSH.

Thank you.