The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partition Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fkatzenb, Sep 23, 2009.

1. fkatzenb

fkatzenb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I going to be a first time cPanel owner here in about a week or so. I am switching my dedicated service providers and am rather excited to be free of Plesk. The server I am going to be leasing has two Ultra320 SCSI 10k drives - 74GB and 143GB. It is different but very manageable. I am wondering what your partition recommendations are.

Currently I figured the 74GB would contain /boot /usr /var /tmp and the 143GB would contain /home. Where should I stick swap? Should I consider other possibilities to keep read/writes spread out between the drives?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

Partition Help

Hello,

I am glad to see that you are trying out our product. I would recommend using the following pre-installation guide as reference, it will also give you help with your question on partitions. I have attached a link to the guide. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Advanced Options: cPanel Pre-Installation

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry

3. fkatzenb

fkatzenb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have read that page, however I think my question wasn't very clear. Sorry.

When using two disks partitioned the way I indicated above, are there
    1) Any known issues with cPanel that need to be considered?
    2) What is the best configuration of what resides on which disk for load balancing the hard drives.

I know it is best to have MySQL on one disk and /home on the other disk, but what about swap and /tmp?

Thanks,
    Frank