The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partitioning for WHM: Basic or Advanced?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by shacker23, Aug 4, 2011.

1. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

The WHM installation instructions show a basic partition map, then link to an advanced option. Setting up one server in the past, I did the advanced partitioning. Now I'm preparing to set up another and am thinking of just going with the basic. Seems like the basic will prevent you from running out of partition space, but what are the downsides? Is it really less secure or less performant to not do the full/advanced partitioning?

In other words, is advanced partitioning recommended, or just optional? How important is the difference?

Basic docs

Advanced docs

Seems like the docs could provide more clarity on the difference...

Thanks,
    Scot

#1 shacker23, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The benefit of having different partitions would be that, if you mount partitions separately and one goes read-only, you only lose access to write to that one partition. While it might halt some services, you'll be able to run others.

Alternatively, the con to having different partitions is that one of them that is smaller might fill up and not have any more space available such as /usr or /var, which would mean that the services in that partition can't write to it any longer.

3. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Tristan - I've run into the small-partition problem in the past, and would feel better not having to worry about it again. Not overly concerned about the fault-tolerance issue. Appreciated!