The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partitioning Plans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eigh, Jul 28, 2005.

1. eigh

eigh Member

I have 2 hard drives, each approx 200 gigs each. I'm running CentOS 4.1 without X

I allocated 4 gigs to the swap, 100 megs to /boot, the rest of the first HDD to /, and the entire second 200 gig drive is dedicated to /home

The installation documentation for cpanel suggests that I should re-partition my drives because it does not match their exacting partition scheme... I wanna know how true that is... do I really need to repartition?

Realistically speaking, the biggest problem that I could foresee is that the logfiles could fill up my first hard drive, and I'd have to manually go through and delete them... are there any other concerns that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

-- Jason

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

That partition scheme you have should be OK. It is best to use seperate partitions for atleast /var and /usr and /tmp, but would be OK without it.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, it should not be a problem at all keeping your partition scheme as you have it. Indeed, on many servers (for example VPS's) you can use a single / partition, though it's not usually recommended.