Passing server to other hands, delete private data?

EneTar

Dec 19, 2015
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm passing a dedicated box to another owner, they want to keep just the OS (CentOS) and WHM/cPanel. Unfortunately formatting the disk and reloading the OS is not option in this particular case.

I want to remove sensitive data like emails and passwords. I have already terminated all accounts from WHM and removed all cPanel backups. Is there anything else to I need to delete or just the termination of the accounts is enough? I'm worried about anything else that doesn't cross my mind right now and remember later that I should have done it before passing the box.

Thank you in advance

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
As long as /home doesntd show any lingering user folders and there are no cpmove* or backup* folders and there are no non-system databases in /var/lib/mysql then that would cover most your bases.

Technically they could use disk inspection tools to recover delete files though.

EneTar

Dec 19, 2015
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
/home doesn't contain any accounts all are transferred to a new machine and then deleted from the source,
same for /var/lib/mysql only system databases in there.
/backup folder is emptied
find command doesn't find any cpmove* or backup* files over the disk
I found also one shadow file at /etc/shadow which I guess it contained the encrypted user passwords and removed the respective lines
Filled up the disk with urandom data.

Does anyone have to suggest anything else?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @EneTar,

May I ask what's preventing you from reinstalling the operating system? That's generally the cleanest way to start over with a fresh cPanel & WHM installation.

Thank you.