The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password Change in CPANEL not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TogaDave, Apr 13, 2003.

1. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

I submitted this through WHM support, but I thought I'd make a post here to see if anyone else is experiencing this problem:

The password change feature in my CPANEL's is not working correctly.

If I go into CPANEL / Account Settings and choose "Change Password", enter the old password, and then enter the new password, it says the password has been changed successfully. However, it does not. The new password does not take affect and the old password still works.

Then if I try to change it again, I get an error like this:

Here is the result of your request

expect: spawn id exp3 not open
    while executing
    "expect -nobrace {Bad password:*} { return } {*BAD PASSWORD*} { return } {*manipulation error*} { return } password: { sleep 1
    send "$newpass\r..."
    invoked from within
    "expect {
    "Bad password:*" { return }
    "*BAD PASSWORD*" { return }
    "*manipulation error*" { return }
    password: { sleep 1
    send ..."
    (file "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/securechpass" line 35)
    spawn /usr/bin/passwd
    Changing password for user extra.
    Changing password for extra
    (current) UNIX password:
    passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

----------

Anyone else ever encounter this?

Here's what I'm running:

WHM 6.2.0
    Cpanel 6.2.0-E54
    RedHat 7.3
    apache 1.3.27
    bind 9.2.1
    mysql 4.0.12

Thanks in advance for any advice or info!
    Dave

2. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Which browser are you using to access the conrtol panel? I've encountered this problem with IE... clear out your cache.. close all your browsers... then try to get to the control panel with the old password and it shouldn't work anymore.

3. TogaDave

Hi Elena, thanks for trying to help me, but that did not work. I use MSIE 6.028 with all service packs and updates installed in XP, I keep my cache limit set to 1 megabyte, browser is set to check for new version of pages on every visit, and I deleted all offline content / cookies (which I do frequently since I update many sites on a daily basis).

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I do believe that she was trying to point out, when you change your Cpanel password you must close all Browser windows to take the password out of short-term memory. Once all Browser windows are closed, the password is not remembered or stored by the Browser -- unless you use a Password Mgr. that is. ;)

Opening your Browser and going to your Cpanel login, you should find your old PW does not work. And I do believe there is a time limit (guesstimating 10 or 15 minutes) between PW changes.

This has nothing to do BTW, with how one sets up their Browser or even, what type/version of Browser is being used. It is a combination of the Browser working with settings as per the Server and the Browser has no control in this particular matter.

5. TogaDave

I just tried it on my old computer upstairs with Netscape 4.78. Same results.

6. mbryant

mbryant Member

Has anyone come across this, is it related

I have 2 customers who tried to change their password but had it rejected several times due to being too simple or dictionary word. In the end they either exited or it accepted it.
    After they came out and tried to login later, they were refused even though we could.

It's like some kind of lockout. I've checked their IP deny but they are not in there???

7. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

My situation is much better then that. My reseller changes his password then he cannot log back into his account on port 2086. They call on us to change it. I then have to go back into WHM and force a password change.

8. TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE

TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE Well-Known Member

we are having this same issue. reported by many clients.

-Ed

9. TogaDave

I've also noticed that when I try changing an account password in WHM, it changes the FTP login for the account, but the old password for that account still works in Cpanel. I've been reporting these problems for almost a month now, and have yet to find any answers.

10. AusJeff

AusJeff Active Member

Yep ... client just reported the same problem:

expect: spawn id exp3 not open
    while executing
    "expect -nobrace {Bad password:*} { return } {*BAD PASSWORD*} { return } {*manipulation error*} { return } password: { sleep 1
    send "$newpass\r..."
    invoked from within
    "expect {
    "Bad password:*" { return }
    "*BAD PASSWORD*" { return }
    "*manipulation error*" { return }
    password: { sleep 1
    send ..."
    (file "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/securechpass" line 35)
    spawn /usr/bin/passwd
    Changing password for user customer.
    Changing password for customer
    (current) UNIX password:
    passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

This account was transfered from a Ensim box. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. TogaDave, was your site transfered or a clean setup ?

Jeff.

11. TogaDave

Clean setup on a brand new dedicated box. I don't even think I'm hosting 3 gigs on this thing, it's 4 months old.

Here's a list of some things you guys who are in my same situation should take a look at to see if we have anything else in common:

1. I first noticed the problem when I went into WHM to change a password for a Cpanel account on my box. When I changed it it in WHM, it did successfully change the master FTP login for that account, but it did not change the Cpanel login.

2. I then logged into Cpanel for that account and attempted to use the "Change Password" feature within it. The first time it said the change was successful, HOWEVER, instead of actually changing the Cpanel login, I could now log into Cpanel with EITHER the new password or the old password. Not good if you're trying to change the password for security purposes.

3. When I tried to change the password yet again from Cpanel I began to get the error that a few of us have copied and pasted above in this thread.

I originally submitted a trouble ticket through my upstream hosting company, and they dealt directly with Cpanel. They gave Cpanel support root access to my server, and after a few days I was told the problem should be fixed. It wasn't. That was over a month ago.

So then a few weeks ago I decided to submit my own trouble ticket to Cpanel, and once again I explained the entire situation via support email and direct phone calls to Eric in Cpanel support, and once again I gave them root access to my server. They had me make sure I had all of my updates and that Cpanel was current etc.... A few days later, I received an email from Darren in Cpanel support stating that there should no longer be a problem I tested it and replied back to Darren that the problem still existed on April 14th, and haven't heard anything from them since then. I called Eric last week and told him that I was still waiting to hear from them, and he told me that he would tell a senior developer in his office.

I still have not heard anything back from them, and the problem still exists, and it is now quite obvious that I am not the only customer with this same issue. It is my hope that someone from the Cpanel staff will read this thread and work together with us to find a solution. I think Cpanel is a great product, and I'm interested in starting several new dedicated servers with it, but not until this is resolved.

Good luck to everyone, and thanks for sharing in ideas / advice / etc... in this thread.

12. Saeed

Saeed Active Member

We have the same problem. A few customers have emailed us saying they can't FTP after changing password.

13. xWho

xWho Well-Known Member

I just tested this on my box and get the same errors and the passwords do not change.

14. jsnape

jsnape Well-Known Member

Same thing here. Except the customer gets the username of ANOTHER account in the error message and can log in to that other user with his own password. Maybe someone at CPanel ought to take a look at this.

15. TogaDave

Has anyone received a response to trouble tickets on this yet?

16. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Nope, ignored as usual.

17. mbryant

mbryant Member

I would be nice for someone to let us know if it's being looked into!:mad:

18. web12

web12 Well-Known Member

justb got a support ticket with exactly the same details...

Same error messages as above, and user not being able to log into FTP.

hmm.. something brewing again.

19. mbryant

mbryant Member

UPRISING!!!

20. H2Hosting.com

H2Hosting.com Well-Known Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The same problem!!! I cannot login to my own account via FTP even if I change the password
    a) from root "passwd username"
    b) from Cpanel
    c) from WHM

It should be fixed ASAP!