The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password for a New Database

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by The Stranger, Dec 11, 2014.

1. The Stranger

The Stranger Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have created a new Joomla database (different from the main database of the website but that will be having its I/O from the same website nonetheless) and added a user to it. It seems that the database password was generated automatically and now Fabrik is asking me to confirm the database password but I can't find it in the configuration.php file (presumably because it is new) or anywhere else.

For a start, is there a difference between a "database password" and a "database user password"? I am asking this because I assigned the same "main database" user to the new database.

Is there anything I should have done after creating the database and assigning the user?

And finally, Where can I find that password or change it?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In your cPanel > MySQL Databases is where you'd modify the password for, and create your Databases. Passwords are not generated automatically unless you used the Generator there to generate one. If you didn't write it down, you should have, you can change it to a new one, again.

Back in that area of your cPanel, scroll to bottom where Current Users are listed, click the Change Password link.

No difference. The Database User always needs his Database User Password.

3. The Stranger

The Stranger Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for answering. I did not use a password generator (unless I doid that inadvertently) so I guess there is no password and I have to create one. But what puzzles me is that Fabrik in its connection page shows a password (in dots) and asks me to validate it. Where did that password come from?

Also why hasn't the configuration.php file been updated to show the new database. There is no mention of it at all. This is my first time creating a new database but I am guessing that the system should update the configuration.php file to show the new database.

4. The Stranger

The Stranger Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you. Problem solved. I was able to successfully change the password.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might try asking over on the support forums for the script you're working with. It seems to me by reading their docs that this script may use the Joomla Database details:
    /http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/prerequisites/

No clue really. But that site should be useful.

When you created the Database you are not prompted to create a password for it. To do that, is another step. Adding a user to that Database, is yet another step. Before you even attempt to install a script that needs the Database, you need to perform all 3 steps.

1) Create Database
    2) Add User (this is where you'll add the password)
    3) Add User to Database

With those details, you should be armed with what you need to install the script. If that's what you need.

GL!

6. The Stranger

The Stranger Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you. That was really very helpful.