The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password Integration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jackal, Mar 22, 2003.

1. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Can this be done?

We have the control panel and also a billing area for our clients.
    Right now a client has to login to their control panel and billing area separately, 2 differnet times. I am going to add a link in their control panel for them to login into billing.

This however would be a better solution. When they login into their control panel and click on billing link it takes them straight in, instead of having to login again. Can this be done where when they login into cp it also activated their login for billing area.

That way they could do all from cp. Somehow we must tie in the 2 programs and their passwords.
    Any ideas?

Need to know where cpanel saves passwords then we can tie these in.

#1 jackal, Mar 22, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2003
  2. jackal

jackal Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

But where are the passwords for the cpanel stored. Tell us that and we can pull those passwords into our billing software.

3. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

They're in /etc/passwd /etc/shadow - shudder with me :p

What about making the billing area accesible only from inside Cpanel? That's what I'm planning to do. The user name is among the env variables and that's all you have to worry about.

4. perfectsquare

perfectsquare Active Member

I'm looking to do this same thing. I would like to have the billing and support desk areas password protected with the same user/pass as in CPanel.

First off, is it possible to set up a login, say from a PHP script, that will access the /etc/password (shadow) information and compare the encrypted login to what the password or shadow file contain? If so, are there security risks involved in allowing a script to compare to those files?

Thanks for any input you can provide. I think a lot of us would like to integrate our billing and support areas to run off of the CPanel login.

5. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Solution is:
    Step 1. user login into cpanel
    Step 2. user open cpanel index file or whatever and automatically activate custom build function which do socket connection to billing system in background and catch session id.
    Step 3. once you got the session id from billing system, everything will a lot easier.

The Phantom
    This is very insecure, and highly not recommend. Browser will cache files and url open in this way. Everybody use that computer will get the password very easy.