Password limit in WHM!

bls24

May 12, 2007
I seemed to have manage to lock myself out today. Luckily, root login is done via key by myself & the data center.. so I am just waiting for them to reset it for me.

So I can avoid looking like an idiot in the future, what's the limit?? :) Can WHM give me a warning if I exceed it?

(I type my insanely hard to guess password into notepad & then I paste it into the WHM change box.)

darren.nolan

Oct 4, 2007
15 attempts in 15 minutes, bans for 5 minutes, time gets extended on each failed attempt there-after after ur first ban expires.

30 attempts all up incorrectly from your IP bans you for two weeks.

This is cPanel's cPHulk system though.

If you use the awesomely-awesome ConfigServer firewall - the default from memory is 10 attempts in 15 minutes locks you for 1 hour? I know I've changed the time down to 15 minutes though, as I thought 1 hour was a bit harse for someone using the incorrect username to access email (as people do).

Then future attempts get a nice big-ole banning.

bls24

May 12, 2007
I changed the password in WHM and didn't notice the cut-off of characters and thus cannot login anymore.. I don't know where cpanel cut my password off. In fear of indefinately being banned from even accessing SSH I am hesitant on trying to trim off character by character.

I wasn't banned by brute force or anything, I have it disabled (I use APF's instead)

After scouring google for hours I figured out how to do it myself:
in ssh, type:
passwd root

was able to change it right from there.

Still, I am curious of the WHM limit and if I can have it flash a warning next time I exceed it! I've only been using whm for about 2 years with different hosts and this is my first time encountering this avoidable mishap.

Last edited:

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I changed the password in WHM and didn't notice the cut-off of characters and thus cannot login anymore.. I don't know where cpanel cut my password off. In fear of indefinately being banned from even accessing SSH I am hesitant on trying to trim off character by character.

I wasn't banned by brute force or anything, I have it disabled (I use APF's instead)

After scouring google for hours I figured out how to do it myself:
in ssh, type:
passwd root

was able to change it right from there.

Still, I am curious of the WHM limit and if I can have it flash a warning next time I exceed it! I've only been using whm for about 2 years with different hosts and this is my first time encountering this avoidable mishap.
How long is your password?

bls24

May 12, 2007
The one that locked me out was about 20+ characters. I'm just guessing, I've erased it from notepad a day or two ago.