The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

password modification rules?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlaskanWolf, Mar 9, 2002.

1. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

for the end user, whats the exact rules for changing a password?

heres my thoughts, am i right?

? Must be at least 5 characters long ?
    ? Must be less then 15 characters ?
    Must have at least 1 CAPITAL letter
    Must have at least 1 Number
    No Dictionary words

2. bdraco

bdraco Guest

passwd will try to prevent you from choosing a really bad password, but it isn't foolproof; create your password
    wisely. Don't use something you'd find in a dictionary (in any language or jargon). Don't use a name (including
    that of a spouse, parent, child, pet, fantasy character, famous person, and location) or any variation of your per-
    sonal or account name. Don't use accessible information about you (such as your phone number, license plate, or
    social security number) or your environment. Don't use a birthday or a simple pattern (such as backwards, followed
    by a digit, or preceded by a digit. Instead, use a mixture of upper and lower case letters, as well as digits or
    punctuation. When choosing a new password, make sure it's unrelated to any previous password. Use long passwords
    (say 8 characters long). You might use a word pair with punctuation inserted, a passphrase (an understandable
    sequence of words), or the first letter of each word in a passphrase.

3. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

well i know all that, my main question is

Alot of customers are complaining that they are unable to change passwords or if they do change it, they cant access their cpanel anymore.

Is there a minimum and maximum amount of characters a password should be set to?

IE:

Must be at least XX characters long
    Must be less then XX characters

This way we can state on the password change page the rules for changing a password......how long....how short...etc...