The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password Protect Directories Gone

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by PCZero, Sep 21, 2015.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

The link for password protecting directories is gone in PL. If I switch a user back to x3 they get this option back. I have no idea at all if this was renamed to something really obscure or not but none of my users can find it. Please advise.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you start to type into the search tool at top of page, password, before you get done, the only option that comes up is called, Directory Privacy.

HTH!

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Thank you both.

5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I do wish that the powers that be would stop changing names of things that historically have used plain English names to much more technical names (fro lack of better description) that are very non-intuitive. At least give serve owners a way to change the names. Example: Stats -> Metrics., SubDomains -> Aliases.

projector_hd_3d likes this.
  6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not so much more technical I don't think, more acceptable in a wider range of languages when translated I think is key here. This old blog post might be of some use:
    Localization: x3 and Paper Lantern in 29 Languages - cPanel Blog (Aug 2014)

7. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I do understand your thought process and I applaud that the effort to think of other languages. It would (IMHO) be much better to use terms in each specific language that are more the accepted standard rather than go for a literal word for word language use. Case in point is Stats. 99.99999% (of I'm making the number up) know what stats are and that is what they look at to see who has been visiting their site etc. While the word Metrics may have a more literally accurate usage in other languages than English, that does not mean we should change the English term to something that is much more obscure and seldom used at all.

In other words, a literal translation of a common word is irrelevant. The thing that is relevant is what term is most commonly used in each language for a given parameter. Ergo the Spanish language may use a word that does literally translate to Metrics so the language file for Spanish should use that term, however in English we use Stats and that should be used there. The fact that the English word Stats does not directly translate to teh Spanish word for Metrics is of absolutely no concern at all.