Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

password protect folders-login keeps repeating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnyBob, Jan 7, 2007.

1. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

Hello,
    I password protected a folder at my website with cpanel. When I browse to the website and click to access that protected folder, it logs-in OK the first time, and then appears to work OK during that session. I can move around and click on the various links therein without being asked to login again.

But when I exit the website, and return to it a few minutes later, the login box comes up again repeatedly. I must enter the username & password several times before it is accepted. Why won't it stay logged-in? Why won't it accept the username & password on the first try?

Maybe I don't understand how this feature is supposed to work. Is there a timer which automatically logs-out? Is there some special kind of coding that must be observed? I'm only using very simple html code, nothing fancy. I have a folder inside/under the protected folder, and apparently accessing it for images may be causing the looping logins. Here's the link if anyone cares to take a look:

http://www.johnnybob.org/

Click the PUBLIC box on the homepage. At this point it's a public login with the username & password given.

I don't know if it matters but I'm running Windows XP Home (SP2) and Internet Explorer 6 browser.
    Thanks for any help.
    JohnnyBob

2. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

Is this the cause??

I password protected two parallel folders, so are the two logins getting confused?

In other words, is there a limit of one password-protected folder per website (for it to work right)?

3. JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob Active Member

Apparently so, only one login allowed per website. So I removed one login, and the other seems to work OK - except it makes me login twice occasionally. Why isn't just one login sufficient?