The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password protect web page folder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jdc2000, May 8, 2006.

1. jdc2000

jdc2000 Registered

I would like to password protect a folder for some internet web pages. I used the Password Protect Directories item in cPanel, and it created the following .htaccess file:

AuthType Basic

AuthName "Protected Login"

AuthUserFile "/home/mydomain/.htpasswds/protect/passwd"

require valid-user

However, there is no "passwd" file in the folder "protect", so when I try to access the page:
    http://www.mydomain.com/protect/index.htm
    I enter my user name and password, but it is rejected. What am I missing? What else do I need to do to get this working? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

/home/user/.htpasswds/protect/passwd will exist but will not be viewable via FTP for normal users and under normal conditions. Trust me - I've checked a few times in the past!

You could try simply removing all users from the relevant protected directory, unprotect the directory, re-protect the directory and re-add the relevant users.

Alternatively, you could examine /home/user/.htpasswds/protect/passwd via shell and check that the contents are correct.

I'm assuming that after protecting the relevant directory you did then add the details of who can access the directory?

3. jdc2000

jdc2000 Registered

I tried setting it up again, and it is now working. Thanks for the suggestions.