The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password protected directory requires two entries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by plainfield, Mar 29, 2009.

1. plainfield

plainfield Registered

After I password protect a directory in cpanel a user has to type the
    user name and password two times in the prompt box before access is granted.

ie www.domain.com/test where the test directory is protected.

when you access this directory the login and password box opens and I enter a user name and password. That fails and the box opens again. When you enter user name and password this time you are given access to the test directory.

Thanks for any help

2. thobarn

thobarn Well-Known Member

is www.domain.com also password protected. I came across similar issues where password protected folders were within password protected folders.

Another thing that comes to mind is some sort of re-writing/re-direction like domain.com redirects to www.domain.com.

Also check www.domain.com/test/ (notice last slash). Does it still give the prompt twice? Is there an index file in test directory? if not, if you put one does it resolve the twice prompt problem?

3. plainfield

plainfield Registered

Thanks thobarn. Adding the extra slash at the end works.

ie www.domain.com/test/

I also found by accident this morning that upon the 2nd entry of the user name and password you are directed to

http://domain.com/test/

By going directly to this there is also no need to type the user name and password twice.

Thanks again for the info and prompt reply.