The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password Protected Dirs - Security Issue

Discussion in 'Security' started by purplepaws, Mar 12, 2003.

1. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2002

I have just had this from a client...

"In CPanel: If you use WebProtect to password protect a directory, then use Index Manager to change the index restrictions on that directory, the directory will lose it's password protection. You have to go back into WebProtect and reset it after using Index Manager. There is no warning of this. Inadvertently I used Index Manager on a password protected directory and didn't realize anyone could have been getting into that directory since until just now a couple weeks after."

Any ideas?
  2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, I'm sure lots of us have ideas, but if not initiated by DarkOrb it won't make much difference.

Haven't had many Clients use those features and I would hazard a guess that Cpanel is setup to overwrite a previous .htaccess file, rather than append to it. Glad you mentioned it though, as it is something I can pass on.

For now, best bet is to setup one option, copy the code from the .htaccess file then setup the second option. File Mgr. will allow one to then copy & paste the old code into the new .htaccess file giving both options.