Password Reset Emails Timeout Setting?

bobc02

May 29, 2019
Sammamish, WA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
When I create a new email address, and select the alternate email option, the new users do get the "Welcome to your new account " email. But, often, the link expired.

How can I increase the expired link timeout? I've looked in several places, including Tweak Settings > Email, but not seeing anything for timeout.

Thanks,

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @bobc02

I discussed this with some of the product devs and they're actually thinking that the session more than likely timed out before the user clicked the link, unfortunately in that case without knowing exactly what happened in the background it's hard to tell why/how to avoid it.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello @bobc02

That'd be the PHP session which I believe would include the whostmgr session associated with the reset link - it's unlimited but I was actually thinking if garbage collection (session.gc) ran during that time it would have cleared that session from tmp dependent on the age.

bobc02

May 29, 2019
Sammamish, WA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @cPanelLauren,

I'm not doing anything in cPanel, other than adding a new email account. So I don't really know anything about garbage collection. I keep cPanel up, and go about my business. The next day I hear from my user that they tried to set their password, but the link expired.

My work-around is to get the user on the phone, then go through the account setup. They get the verification email while we're on the phone, and the link has not yet expired, so it works. But, this is too cumbersome.

If you had a temp email address to provide me, I could add an account using it as an alternate. Then you'd get the email that my user's get with the expired link, if you wait a few hours.

Thanks,

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @bobc02

I can't do that over the forums but what I would suggest so that we can test this would be to open a ticket. You can do this with the instructions in my signature. Please update this thread with the ticket ID should you go that route, so that we can update here what the issue was and the solution.

Thanks!

pmjg

Registered
Mar 25, 2020
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I did some tests and the only thing I found was: if the user clicks on the link a few times and does not create the password, he will be blocked for 1 hour. But the total useful life of the link has not yet been discovered.