The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password retrieval

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drewh01, Jul 6, 2007.

1. drewh01

drewh01 Registered

How do I see a clients main password in WHM? I can log into their cpanel account through WHM automatically, but for many functions I need to log into their cpanel account using their L/P.

thanks!

2. LP-Tim

LP-Tim Active Member

Far as I know you can't see it, you can only reset it. What do you need to do that you can't do as root (or some other superuser)? Only thing I can think of is mess with phpMyAdmin, but you can do that as root through WHM.

3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

You cannot view clients password, let it be a cPanel password, Ftp or an email account password. They are in encrypted form. You will have to ask your clients for there password.

You can do so from Plesk though as it stores all the details in a database.

4. drewh01

drewh01 Registered

Basically I need to go into phpMyAdmin and Fantastico but get the logged in as root error message.

It would seem pretty obvious to have the ability to see our clients password, especially since I am logged in as root and can easily change the password to be whatever I wanted.

Just seems funny to me. How else can I get around this? It's a real pain to scavenge for a password. We try to keep accurate records, but with 500+ accounts and new ones coming on every week...it gets a bit tedious.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    phpMyAdmin can be accessed via WHM for all databases so thats nto a problem. Not sure why you'd need to get into fantastico unless to install a script for a user. If its to see installations on account, you can do that too via WHM from fantastico admin.