The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passwordless access to cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sllik, Aug 23, 2005.

1. sllik

sllik Member

Hi

I'm trying to integrate a password-less access to cpanel from my billing software. When we create a new account in cpanel, we have the account password stored in our local database so there is no problem creating that password-less link from our billing software to cpanel. But what if the user decides to change the password? Then this system wouldn't work anymore. If I disable the "change password" option then the user won't be able to change his main ftp and email account password (which is not good).

I thought of adding a mysql query on the changepass.html page that will submit the new password to my database but then there is no way to know if the password was successfully changed or not as the script checks for the password strength. I wanted to fiddle around with the Passwd module that is used to change user's password in cPanel but I can't find it.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever done this before? Is it even possible? Is there a way to disable the "change password" feature and still allow users to change their main ftp and email account passwords?

-Thanks

2. sllik

sllik Member

anything?????

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The best option I can suggest would be to investigate how this works from WHM.

4. sllik

sllik Member

what do you mean?

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

WHM > List Accounts

Click in the cPanel icon next to any listed account and, bingo, you're transferred passwordlessly into that account's cPanel,

However the URL for doing so is:

https://hostname:2087/xfercpanel/username

and i can't find any reference to xfercpanel anywhere (i.e. locate xfercpanel finds nothing), so I expect this process is buried somewhere in the cPanel binaries, or elsewhere in some proprietory code.

Nevertheless if, from your billing software, you have a link with an href of the form https://hostname:2087/xfercpanel/username then you should be OK, so long as you're already logged into WHM using the browser through which you'll be using your billing software . . . assuming that your billing software is a web-based app . . . that's getting you near to what you want.

6. sllik

sllik Member

yeah but that's very unsecure. you will allow them to login as a reseller.

is there a way to edit your primary ftp and email passwords without changing your cpanel password?

#6 sllik, Aug 25, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  7. richy

richy Well-Known Member

What you could do is put a "Change Password" system in your billing system which updates your database and then calls the WHM API to call the WHM "Change account password" system (which doesn't have the password strength checking).