The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

past two evenings cpanel/vps stops serving sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by betoranaldi, Jul 24, 2009.

1. betoranaldi

betoranaldi Well-Known Member

For the past two evenings my vps has stopped serving sites and requires a reboot to be back to normal.

What logs can I check to see what exactly happened?

Thanks
    Brian

2. xieleseldho

xieleseldho Member

Hi Brian,

Check if there any resource outage in your vps during that time. You can check it using the command cat /proc/user_beancounters

Paul

3. betoranaldi

Thank you for your time. I ran the above command and if I am reading the output correctly, all of the "failcont" are 0. which would lead me to believe that nothing has failed. Would this be since a reboot? I did reboot that system and don't know if that would clear these stats.

4. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Hi,

Generally, /proc holds realtime data. I wouldn't count on that to figure out what went on.

Next time your VPS/VM goes down, contact the host and see what they have to say about it BEFORE you reboot it. They usually have the ability to see the console when this happens and they can see if something got hung up and caused a Kernel Panic or something to that effect. Maybe they even have the ability to share the visuals with you via KVM in to their Hypervisor.

I hope this helps. When servers crash, it's usually sticky business and requires that you look at the monitor/console to see what went on, BEFORE you reboot it.

Let me know if you have any additional questions; it's always a pleasure to assist.

Warmest regards,

5. betoranaldi

Will do. Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me with this. It's much appreciated!