The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Per email sending limits for large domains

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ghoti, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ghoti

ghoti Member

I have a pretty large problem. I have some big domains. With 1000-2000 email accounts per domain. I host these domains on their own dedicated servers.

Now my problem comes in that a per hour limit on the whole domain is near useless. Its okay for small hosting requirements where you have a handful of email accounts, but when you are dealing with 1000+ email accounts on a large companies email, you cant have the whole company go offline just because one user in one office somewhere in the world has a virus.

Its bad when a whole company of that size has to stop emailing because of that one user. How do I get around this. The per domain email limit is not useful in this case.

2. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You aren't the first to ask http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/mail-...r-than-per-domain-case-56138-a-150441-p2.html you can of course disable the feature but I guess that's not what you're really after.

From that it looks like per domain was a compromise chosen for reasons of overhead - afaik however the bulk of the actual work on the feature is done using exim features (ACLS), this said it's fairly well integrated with cPanel in terms of where the relevant configuration values are stored etc. I imagine one of the cPanel chaps will be along to indicate if there is any way to make relatively simple modifications to achieve what you want with the exim advanced editor.

You might want to put a vote in on Mail sending limits per email account (rather than per domain) | cPanel Feature Requests theres also a link to the exim documentation there if you feel so inclined

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't mind when something like that happens, since it directly calls attention to a problem account. I've had spam being sent that no one in the company knew about until the limit was hit. Suddenly they find that one of their computers is infected.

Limits and temp suspensions are great ways to alert to an issue, even when it's not on the server.