The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance Problems - Advice, Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paulus Magnus, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Paulus Magnus

Paulus Magnus Registered

My server, 2.2Ghz, Red Hat 7.3, 512Mb RAM is getting caned but I don't know why or how to find out.

The server load is generally around 1 all day long but I've seen it go up to 100+ on the first number from top with 400+ processes even though the normal amount is around 160.

I've got one large database driven site on this box but that's all. Any ideas or how I find the culprit for this? I'm not a linux guy at all so any troubleshooting or monitoring tips would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

2. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

SSH to your box and do a "top" command or a "pstree" command.

Check to see if you have a lot of EXIM processes running. If so, you may have a problem with spam email.

3. Paulus Magnus

Paulus Magnus Registered

Thanks for the reply.

What causes Exim to hog? Is that due to high volume of incoming mail attempts or successful mails, as I don't get that much spam coming through.

I found the top command and had been using that as my troubleshooting tool but all I could see were the large number of processes and high loads. Nothing seemed to sit on the top for more than a second or two but I couldn't see what the 400 processes were, which I thought may point the finger in the right direction.

My server load is fine at this very moment but I'll check the next time it hits a high which will probably be in the next few hours as the US comes online. I've also had somebody suggest that the MySQL settings may need checking so I'll be looking at that later as well.

#3 Paulus Magnus, Feb 3, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  4. evolver

evolver Well-Known Member

same problem we have :(

5. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Try this setting for MySQL as cPanel's FAQ had suggested:

set-variable = max_connections=1500
    set-variable = max_user_connections=200
    set-variable = wait_timeout=200