The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance tuning Apache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Cristi4n, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Cristi4n

Cristi4n Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello everyone,

I have done some testing on a local machine trying to optimize apache 1.3.37.
    I've looked on the internet for some time now and all I got was things like tuning keepalive and maxclients a.s.o. These are not important to me as they are very easy to tune. I wanted more so I have found on the apache site in performance tuning some patches that I want to apply to the server. I did all that including lingerd (by iAgora) and everything looks ok to me.

My problems are:
    1. I would like a copy or at least the spec used to build apache by cpanel because I need to recompile apache and would not want to miss something.
    2. I am wondering, since I am using lingerd if it will be a good idea to have 2 apache servers, the main one with php and all the other modules, and an other to handle images ? The second server will be a minimal apache.
    The two servers will have the same config file in order for the light apache to know from where to read the images and the main one will use mod_proxy to communicate with the minimal one.
    3. I have never compiled php statically into apache(I want to have apache compiled with all the modules inside it, to get rid of DSO support), is this possible or I am talking stupid things here ?
    4. I know that probably all this does not worth the effort, still I want to do it.

Every suggestion, help and even critics will be of good help to me,
    thank you!

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Is lingerd really a good program to use?. I mean it hasn't been updated in more than 6 years. I looked at it once and saw the old date stamps and decided it would likely be too old to work reliably with the latest apache and other software.

You might also want to look up a bit on lingering close from apache http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/perf-tuning.html

As to going static on everything, that can be a nightmare. Sometimes you have to compile programs in special order and you cannot turn anything off as its all part of httpd when done. Anytime something new needs to be compiled (php, ssl, etc) you have to do the whole process all over again. I'm pretty sure the world is turning away from staticly compiling apache.

#2 nyjimbo, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  3. Cristi4n

PartnerNOC

Yes, I know it can be a nightmare doing everything statically, I am trying at least to build php statically into apache. I have tested lingerd with apache 1.3.37 and found no problems. I was wondreing about the developement of lingerd but if it works then it's ok. I have read the perf. tuning from apache, that is why I need the spec file used to build apache for cpanel.
    Thank you for the reply,
    Cristi4n

4. Cristi4n

PartnerNOC

Ok, I would like to compile apache and others myself, is there a way to see how cpanel compiled the. (what options, or a spec file) ?