The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Period in mail folder name

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by astopy, Apr 10, 2008.

1. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Before I submit a bug report about this, I want to make sure it's not just me :)

It seems that when creating a mail filter to put messages in a folder it is necessary to put a "." (period) at the beginning of the folder name, but this isn't mentioned anywhere in the cPanel interface. Can anyone confirm that they're seeing the same thing?

2. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

To make a folder in filter, there is no need of periods at beginning. What version of cpanel are you running?

3. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.3-S21703.

It is possible my customer was mistaken here, but it did seem to work this way when I tried it, which is why I want someone to confirm if they're seeing the same this before I submit a bug report.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only time a period is needed is when delivering to a sub-folder. Top level folders won't need the period. For example, if I want a message delivered to the forum folder, which is a sub-folder of WebSite, then I need to stipulate the folder as such:

WebSite.forum

when creating the filter.

For messages delivered to the top-level WebSite folder, I merely need stipulate:

WebSite

during filter creation. This is for filters created in the cPanel interface. I do note though, the filter interface states nothing about how to specify sub-folders when creating rules. I'll report that to the design team so some wording can be added.

5. astopy

astopy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I see. That's probably what was going on with my customer. If you're reporting it to the design team, I won't bother creating a bug report as well.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just reported it.

Your account reminded me that when I was setting up filters for my own email account, I failed to provide the full path to the sub-folder (WebSite.forum in the above example). This caused exim to create the forum folder as a top-level folder. Not what I wanted :)