The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perl 5.8.8 install broke my Perl @INC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soif, Sep 14, 2007.

1. soif

soif Member

Hi

A few days ago i received a cpanel root mail from a CENTOS/DNSONLY server asking me to install perl v5.88 using the cpanel installer. I followed the instructions updating Perl, and updated DNSONLY using upcp. All went fine : Perl 5.88 was installed and DNSONLLY is still working.

But this changed the Perl @INC to :

/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i686-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.2
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

This server was also running Munin server (installed using Yum).
    Since the Perl update, Munin doest not work anymore. When i lauch it (/usr/bin/munin-cron) it complains about Munin.pm and RRDs.pm missing in @INC.
    After searching for this files i found them at:
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/Munin.pm
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/RRDs.pm

where they are supposed to be

Re-installing Munin does not change these files location and beacause @INC does not include /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/ (i guess) , i cant no longer start Munin.

i tried export PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl to try to get it back, but it still complain about missing RRDs.pm.

It seems that there is a problem with perl, and I'm scared to discover other (non-cpanel) perl scripts complaining about missing perl modules :eek:

The questions is:
    How can I fix this or How to revert to Perl 5.8.5 from rpm???

Please help...:confused:

2. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. fenixer

fenixer Well-Known Member

same problem here at Fedora6 recently installed with lasts versions.

libraries at:
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Ocsinventory

Ok.. where are the vendor_perl includes? (this is the unique machine with this INC problem, and really dont know how to face it)

4. fenixer

It seems like the paths included with perl are stablished at compilation...

Great.. it seems like in a script, you could set the complete @INC variable to get this overriden, or to set for the current shell a path using "PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8", by example, but the GOOD sollution would be recompiling perl including all the paths!

OTHER MACHINE:
    Ok.. I tried to reinstall perl entirely using the manual, downloading http://layer1.cpanel.net/perl588installer.tar.gz, decompressing, and executing ./install, but it does not fix nothing.. perl is compiled JUST WITH not the complete paths, in other words, without including the vendor_perl paths, so some apps are not currently running.. pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Anyone could tell me how to recompile and install perl with the entire paths!?

5. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, good -- glad to see I wasn't the only one having this issue. I had to hard-code paths into the perl scripts that were having problems, but it'd be nice if there was a way to fix this.

6. fenixer

Hi...

Meanwhile, I didn't want to modify the perl scripts to force the path to be included.

That way, I discovered the installer did "mirror" all libraries and modules from vendor_perl into site_perl...

The only problem was arround my application installed via rpm, so finally I did:

That way, It did run... for this case, of course. This is not the final sollution.

Why the cpanel perl installer did not take care of my vendor_perl directory when configuring paths at compilation!?!?!?