The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perl and cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dezignguy, Jan 26, 2005.

1. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2004
    I've been using cpanel for just about a year now... I'm familiar with the usual cpanel stuff, but I haven't gotten too far into the deep intricacies and dark secrets of cpanel yet.

My main question so far is how cpanel and perl work together.

My understanding is that cpanel installs it's own version of perl, and that overwriting that with an rpm package from the os vendor will really screw things up. So i have perl in the package skip list. However what's with the 'Allow rpm updates from package vendors setting?'

I had the default os rpm packages for apache 2 and php, and several apache modules installed by default... I recently uninstalled these rpms and then rebuilt cpanel's apache. So I shouldn't have extra files hanging around from the rpms. It should be 'clean' now, with the only files existing are the ones that are actually being used. And now up2date doesn't bug me about updating apache and php because as far as it's concerned there's nothing to update (since the rpms don't exist).

Perl is the same way... however, I looked at the dependencies of the RHEL3 default installed perl package, and it was very very long. However, it seems like cpanel's perl has replaced some of the rpm's files (as the file size, date, and md5 do not match for several important files). So I'm assuming that many of the other os rpm packages are dependent on the default perl package, though cpanel seems to have replaced some perl binaries with it's own version.

I'm trying to figure out how to clean up Perl as well... if I install the latest rpm package for perl from up2date (RHEL3), I assume that'll kill cpanel? Should I uninstall the default OS perl package then, and ignore the dependencies, and then reinstall cpanel's perl version to fix the dependencies?

I should probably just leave it all alone... and I will if there's nothing to be done with it... but I'm just trying to make sure that only the programs that are necessary are installed, and there's a way to keep them all updated properly... and so I don't have stray pieces of broken rpm packages scattered around.

One other thing... I'm using Perl 5.8.1 (cpanel version) and Perl 5.8.0-88.4 (RHEL3 version). I've heard of issues when updating Perl on some systems, and I don't believe there are any serious security issues with perl right now.... so I've been thinking that it isn't really necessary to take the risk of updating perl on a production system? Are there any good reasons to upgrade perl (cpanel version) to the latest version, (either the official cpanel version, or the very latest version (i think 5.8.6) from cpan)?
    #1 dezignguy, Jan 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    You should really:

1. Place perl* in your up2date ignore list
    2. Uncheck WHM > Tweak Settings > Allow perl updates from rpm based linux vendors
    3. Clean up your perl installation by searching for 5.8.0 and removing the directory trees (or rename them out the way first if you're concerned).

Once done, run the following:

/scripts/upcp --force

You will then have a clean, independent, perl installation. If you find a dependency issue with RPMs, ignore it and just install the module manually using:

/scripts/perlinstaller <module>