The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

perl/cgi errors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckh, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    At one time, I thought that perl/cgi errors were available in cPanel by viewing the error logs, instead of the 500 internal error, for example, you could log in and get a more descriptive reason for the error.

I'm not seeing that any more so the client needs to contact us to find out what the error is and we need to check the apache error_log. The logs will show a 500 errorpage not found error when an error occurs, but, not the perl/cgi error. Latest error was a database connection error.

Running with suPHP and suExec enabled.

Is there anything that can be done to get the perl/cgi errors in the cPanel error log? php errors show up fine there.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If suexec is enabled, you need to look in the Apache error_log as well as the suexec_log. Both are located in /usr/local/apache/logs/.

If the error is happening within an application, and not coming from Perl itself, there may not be a notation in any of the Apache logs.

3. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I guess I wasn't clear on one of my statements. In the cPanel error logs, you will only see an error about the 500 errorpage not found, if there isn't a 500 error page, but, nothing related to the cgi error itself.

I can find the errors in the server logs with no problem. But, if the errors were in the cPanel error logs, then the client wouldn't need to contact us to find out what the error is, they could just look in their cPanel error logs. Seems it would be more convenient that way all the way around, the client could just look at the cPanel error logs to see what the problem is and correct it, instead of contacting us, waiting for a reply, us looking it up in the logs, replying to the client, etc.

I'm almost positive that the cgi errors were at one time available in the cPanel error logs, but, I haven't had a reason to look at the cPanel error logs in quite a while, probably a year or more. I quite remember seeing the old headers have already been sent error in the logs, but, they just aren't there any more. Not sure if this is some setting on the server or it was due to a cPanel upgrade.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This sounds like a feature request to ask these errors display in the cPanel error logs. There isn't any setting to divert the perl or cgi script errors to cPanel that I'm aware existing at this time. Our feature request forum is at the following location:

Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM

5. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that available at one time in the cPanel error logs, maybe 2 or 3 years ago?

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't remember it being in the error logs, so I cannot confirm it in any way that it would have been there. Again, I suggest a feature request.

7. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Already done. Just trying to find out if anyone else remembers it being available or my memory is going.... ;-)