The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perl Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bluhosting, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Bluhosting

Bluhosting Active Member

Hi we ran a check root kit on our server and perl was infected like he** every file was infected almost so the sys admin removed perl and re installed it the files that were infected are gone now but cpanel wont work properly (WHM) nothing will work without giving a perl error Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 .) at /scripts/restartsrv line 5. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /scripts/restartsrv line 5.
    or something like that and we cant figure out how to get this to work. Everything is running apparently except apache. but none of it will show up in the sys status. We can send mail connect to ftp exim proftpd and all that is running apache is not mysql is we can only access the server via IP if anyone would know how to fix this can you please respond ASAP.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Are you sure that perl was infected with anything - you didn't mistake the false-positive files called .package that get listed by chkrootkit. If, as I suspect, you've made that mistake, then how did you re-install perl?

You have to reinstall using the cPanel perl distribution here:
    http://layer1.cpanel.net/

And then run:
    /scripts/upcp

3. Bluhosting

Bluhosting Active Member

Im not exactly sure what folders it said was infected but there was a LOT of things that it said were infected. Would you happen to know any free virus scanners for linux so i could double check everything.

4. Bluhosting

Bluhosting Active Member

When i do the /scripts/upcp it doesnt do anything it shows the updating bar but it doesnt do anything. My sys admin did the perl5 thing from the layer1 but i dont know if he did it correctly how would i re do this if i only need perl

5. Bluhosting

Bluhosting Active Member

Ok i started the install and it says Enter a list of available NNTP hosts: im not sure what i should put for the next configurations of the libnet

6. Bluhosting

Bluhosting Active Member

Ok i put freetar.blu-server.com for that and i left the default for everything ealse and the one i put frestar for wont start up how ever the server is going now expet IMap failed. Is there a way to change the config after i installed it?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would seriously suggest that you contact cPanel by logging a support request for this so that they can go directly to the issue and help you out.

8. Bluhosting

Bluhosting Active Member

Update: Actually everything seems to be working now thanks for your help :)

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Great, I'm glad you're back up and running. Btw, ClamAV is a good free virus scanner for Linux servers:
    http://www.clamav.net/