The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perl modules installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clouseau, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Active Member

Jan 17, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, I am on latest release tier version of cpanel. Can anyone explain please what is the difference in installing a module from rpm or through WHM module installer? WHM installs perl from CPAN. If I install perl module from rpm, the WHM doesn't show it in Installed Perl Module(s). Why is that?

In example: rpm package perl-Authen-SASL I can install through yum. That is a module for system perl which is in /usr/bin/perl right? After installation WHM doesn't show it, I have to install it in Module Installer or in shell by typing /scripts/perlinstaller --force Authen::SASL

So, what is the difference and usage scenario? Do I need WHM installation if I already have rpm installed? If one of my hosting accounts users have a perl script in his web site that uses Authen SASL what would be the correct procedure to provide him that module? Installing rpm or installing through WHM? I know that if I install it through WHM, the user will see the module in cPanel as already installed system modules. So what is the purpose of installing perl modules through rpm?