The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perl upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickalo, Jul 11, 2004.

1. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Hello,

has anyone recently updated their Perl, version 5.6 to the newest cpanel release of 5.8.4.. any problems, conflicts or disasters encountered ?? :rolleyes:

TIA,
    Mickalo

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be much help, but why upgrade unless there's something you need in 5.8.4? :) I'm sure cPanel will include it once they're satisfied that it is sufficiently stable. I do know the temptation of using the latest and greatest, but I've mellowed over the years and am a little more happy with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)

I do commercial perl programming and until fairly recently developed most code on 5.004 and was very happy with it. I only use 5.6.1 'cos I'm using a cPanel box for development work now, but I've not seen any particular reason to upgrade.

3. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

right you are :) I've been programming with Perl for quiet sometime myself and have been using 5.6 along time, just been reading about alot of improvements in the 5.8+ releases coming out. And hopefully,.. someday they will get Perl 6 out :)

Thx's
    Mickalo