The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permanent Process w/ cPanel User

Discussion in 'Security' started by Im#NuMBeR1, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Im#NuMBeR1

Im#NuMBeR1 Registered

Jun 1, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi guys.

I have a cPanel user created on my Linux CentOS 6.7 dedicated server which is hosting the files for SteamCMD for a CS Source server. Unfortunately I have to be logged into SSH and have the server running through that. (custom start script: ./ but when SSH closes or loses connection the Counter-Strike server stops. How can I make the server start script a permanently running process so that it will automatically start or restart when it crashes? I am not logged into SSH via Root, however the cPanel account itself does have SSH access.

How can I have the CSS server running without having to be in SSH? Can I run it as a background process?

Please help me.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the application is not designed to run as a daemon, then you'll need to run it via screen or tmux. You'll have to start the application via SSH, but can disconnect from the server once it's running. A high level over view of the process is:

1. Login to server via SSH
    2. Start screen or tmux (or reattach to a current session)
    3. Start your application
    4. Close your SSH connection

I recommend reading more about tmux (my preferred) or screen. They are very powerful and can be a bit confusing at first.