The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permanent re-directs

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by sandgroper, Feb 29, 2016.

1. sandgroper

sandgroper Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Replacing an old site with a new one. New domain name. Currently I have both sites online. I asked my host for the best way to redirect the old site and then remove it.

I was told that if I am not planning on using the old website I can remove it before redirecting the domain as this will create a rule in the .htaccess of the folder.

If I remove it how can I add the re-directs? Or do I leave the old site name there and just delete the files?

What I have done via cPanel is permanently re-directed the site (and main pages as well, as a few of the pages have changed names). But what will happen to the re-directs when I remove the old site?

Am a bit confused here. Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Instead of using a redirect, your hosting provider can use the "Modify an Account" option in Web Host Manager to change the domain name associated with the account. Then, after this is complete, you can add the original domain name as an "Alias" via cPanel:

Aliases - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. sandgroper

sandgroper Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks - I can do that myself :)