The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permission code changes upon uploaded at server :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by onassis, Feb 9, 2009.

1. onassis

onassis Registered

Hi,

I have encountered problem in retain the original permission code of the files and script which I upload to the server.

Example: Files which original permission code are (755 change to 644) and (777 change to 755) after uploading into the server.

It causes serious problems when I install script.

Pls advise what setting required to retain the original permission code of the files and script when I uploaded the files to the server??

Thanks,
    Onassis

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Are you uploading thru a script on a webpage, from an FTP client or cPanel's File Manager?

I'm gonna guess and say a script on your webpage.

3. onassis

onassis Registered

Hi,

I upload through ftp for my arcadempro script but all the permission from 777 change to 755 on my new dedicated server. Causing serious problems in installing the script.

My Administator tell me:
    If you are upload from a Windows machine over ftp, permissions are not going to be retained. I believe that they won't be retained if you do it over ftp on a *nix os either. The best way to ensure permissions are correct is to extract their tarball on the server with the -p flag. This will ensure permissions are the same as when they were packaged into the tarball.

By the way, how to extract their tarball on the server with the -p flag??

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The support forum for the arcade you're using is located here.
    secure.agaresmedia.com/forums/

They can explain to you how to manage your arcade much more than anyone on the cPanel forums.

Ask your "Administrator" if the server is running SuPHP.

If yes, the arcade and all files in it should be 644. The directories should be 755. Regardless of what the arcade settings say it should be set to.

Many people upload files from windows computers to our linux servers every day of the week and the transfer retains permissions just fine.

If you want to try something, upload the arcade zip file via cPanel File Manager and extract it using the tools located there. Then use your FTP client to move the files where you want and install.

This isn't a cPanel problem though.