The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permission problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smak786110, Mar 16, 2010.

1. smak786110

smak786110 Registered

Hello guys !
    Its nice to have a support forum...

Well, I got this Cpanel 1.0 (RC1) , 11.24.5-STABLE 38506
    Operation System LINUX...

Whenever I want to change a folders permissions to 777 "chmod failed: Operation not permitted in /home/mysite/public_html/myfolder"

I tried to contact my local hosting support first time, they changed it for me the whole sites permissions to 777 but warned me that its not secured...

Unfortunately, i installed a new folder and its permissions are not set to 777...and i cant change it manually !

Is there any method for me to change it to 777 and revert it back to safe permissions without bothering the Hosting company ? as they take time to respond back !

thanks

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please note that the version of cPanel and WHM is out-of-date as per the latest cPanel/WHM builds information page; I recommend asking your service provider to upgrade to the latest cPanel version, currently at cPanel 11.25. Using the latest major release will ensure you can take advantage of the latest new features and enhancements; your host may also use automatic updates to ensure the server has all available bug-fixes.

Where is the error displayed, such as via cPanel File Manager, cPanel Legacy File Manager, SSH/CLI access, or via FTP access?

If not already tried, I would suggest attempting the permission change via FTP access. I tested this locally just to confirm, and I was able to use FTP to set a custom level of access permissions (from chmod 0755 to chmod 0777). For testing purposes I used FileZilla, a free and open source FTP software application (e.g., an FTP client to connect to your hosted FTP server). If there is any difficulty connecting to FTP I recommend asking your service provider as they will have direct access to the system and are in the best position to assist.

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

I have two much bigger questions for you ....

A) Why are you trying to set 777 permissions?

B) What type of PHP are you running? (See phpinfo screen)

The reason I am asking is because the **ONLY** type of PHP where 777 permissions could be used is Apache Module (dso) and even then setting those permissions is not really recommended.

If your server has any other kind of PHP installation whether that be cgi, phpsuexec, suphp (most common these days), or fastcgi then you cannot set 777 permissions and in fact they are not required nor necessary and doing so will actually break your web site and scripts, cause massive performance slow downs, and even site down with error 500 conditions.

From your own statements, I get the impression that you have a shared hosting account with a hosting provider instead of your own server but if they are actually running "Cpanel 1.0 (RC1) , 11.24.5-STABLE 38506" then I would be EXTREMELY concerned about staying with them because that is incredibly outdated and shows that they do not ever update or maintain their servers and if they show lack of attention to even the most basic maintenance items, there is a very high probability that they are also not competent enough to properly secure or monitor their servers either and very likely are also not applying any security patches or needed system updates either and I would be very worried.

Just seeing what you said about the version alone would be enough to seriously consider looking for another hosting provider.