The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permissions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Piet, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Piet

Piet Registered

I have a problem with permissions. I am webmaster for two sites. They share a mysql dbase which resides on web1. web2 must be able to write to web 1. No problem with dsharing the data base. For images I write link to physical file in the database, I do not save the image in the data base. Problem here is if web 2 wants to save file on server of web 1 I get the permission problem. Even if I set permission for the image folder in web 1 to 777 it still give me an error saying that I do not have permission.
    I get: "Error writing file to http://www.********* Please check folder permissions"

Any ideas?
    Piet
    :confused:

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

What about making the database files owned by site 1 and used by site 2, "chown username1:username2 database" then change the permissions to 775. This might allow both to use the same database without having to make it 777.

I don't use databases much and have never mixed and matched, so I'm not sure, but it's a suggestion.

3. Piet

Piet Registered

Problem not database

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. The problem is not with the database. I can successfully share and write data between the two sites.

The image which the user uploads on web2 must be saved on the harddrive of web1 and not in the database of web1. So web2 can write data in the database of web1 without a problem but it can not write a file to the harddrive of web1 outside the database.
    Piet