The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phishing sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nitaish, Oct 22, 2008.

1. nitaish

nitaish Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

How can we prevent phishing sites being hosted in the cpanel server? Is there tool or module available to prevent the same?

2. A1Elements

A1Elements Member

I've searched the forum and apparently there is not enough information about phishing scams.
    I'm receiving 20~30 phishing alerts about my users on cPanel server and I'm just able to disable them changing the owner to root and permission to 0. I need a permanent solution on this matter as the reports are getting more and more everyday,... :(
    most of phishing directories named something like index_html or they've been extracted from a .zip file which the attacker could upload to clients /public_html folder.

#2 A1Elements, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. garrettp

garrettp Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If only it was that simple. Clearly you either have a server full of users with malicious intents, you have some insecure site software and/or you have someone with unauthorized access to the server (via FTP/SSH/cPanel/etc.). Implementing a cron job to disable files as you mentioned is equivalent to putting a very small bandaid on a very large wound.

You're likely going to need someone who is experienced in this area to help you find and plug the hole(s).

4. A1Elements

A1Elements Member

Thanks, If anyone else have any idea preventing this from happening please let me know. I really need your assistance,... if any additional information needed about my server I can send as private message or share it here:D.