The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP 4.4.6 released!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swaroop, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Swaroop

Swaroop Active Member

The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 4.4.6. This release addresses a crash problem with the session extension when register_globals is turned on that was introduced in PHP 4.4.5. This release comes also with the new version 7.0 of PCRE and it addresses a number of minor bugs.

A separate release announcement is also available. For changes in PHP
    4.4.6 since PHP 4.4.5, please consult the PHP 4 ChangeLog.

Release Announcement: http://www.php.net/release_4_4_6.php
    Downloads: http://www.php.net/downloads.php#v4
    Changelog: http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php#4.4.6

I guess that should fix the new bugs that crept in 4.4..5

--
    Swap

#1 Swaroop, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    And introduce new ones

3. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

LOL ...........

4. Swaroop

Swaroop Active Member

haha.. that's the best one I've heard this week. :D

5. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

i don't understand,

why is everybody like eager to go with the latest to notch versions? you have too much time on your hands and got nothing to do but recompile the php each time something gets out?

ever think about impact ? i run a stable config for like 3 months, and i am running it on edge though. apache 1.3.37, php 4.4.4 firewall, recompiled kernel, chirpy's mailscanner, and highly tweakes apache/mysql to cut on server load.

i mean ... why do it just because a new version it's out? and it isn't even a big version number change, but only bugfix version.

i dunno about you people but i run a business here, and apache recompilation and debugging = downtime when it doesn't come up right. you might wanna keep this in mind.

anyway this depends from customer to customer and from admin to admin. but those are just my 2 cents.

cheers.

6. budway

budway Well-Known Member

People that update fast are responsable people.

Security release is out they act.

If only some other people would mature to release STABLE only when IT's STABLE than this problem would not happen.

Yeah blamme on the stupid responsable people.

:confused: :rolleyes: :mad:

#6 budway, Mar 2, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  7. Swaroop

Swaroop Active Member

Well, PHP4 is quite stable. So any update that is out is only going to improve it and will remain only be a minor version change. So, no harm in updating. If you are a software developer yourself, you would know updates can be very helpful (except perhaps 4.4.5 ;))
    No, not really :)

8. yash

yash Member

Well has anyone been courageous enough to try this release?If so give feedbacks please. Hope it works fine...

9. ttk_2k

ttk_2k Well-Known Member

But when will WHM/CPanel be ready to put 4.4.6 onto the update option?

EDIT: I mean, in WHM/Apache Update, I wish I could upgrade to this version ASAP cuz I'm facing problem with 4.4.5. Thx

#9 ttk_2k, Mar 2, 2007
  10. budway

budway Well-Known Member

4.4.5 is junk! it will crash your server and breaks many apz, I would install 4.4.6 asap after hiting the easyapache

11. ttk_2k

ttk_2k Well-Known Member

Can we do it now or we have to wait till the option is added into the easyapache? Cuz I tried 10 mins ago, I didn't see it upgraded my php to 4.4.6.. I want to get out from 4.4.5 asap like you!! Thx

12. budway

budway Well-Known Member

You can manually compile php 4.4.6 (not recommended), it should be a matter of time to get into the easyapache.

I think cpanel has to test the builds and see if it crash's on building that will take a few days (1-2 I guess).

Should be out by monday our so.

Relax from now on (since 4.4.6 is out) it have to get better ( :p can't get worse our can it?)

:D

13. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

okay. thing why you SHOULD wait and not brag about wow a new version is out let's get it on, though it was released yesterday.

i run chirpy's mailscanner stuff, and i am always uptodate with anything. few days ago, clamav 0.9.0 was out, and it came as a warning.

i had no problems with 0.88.7 so i waited a bit just to see what feedback is on it, as i run only production servers so far, so i would not like my customers to face any downtime.

so i waited and then a warning came into the blog, that the code released was buggy, yet, they had a patch for it. i kept waiting for 1 more day, and then the clamav team made a good release which fixed everything, and i had to use no workarounds no nothing.

yes upgrades are a must, but still, as long as you're in production and have no devel servers to test impact on, it's simply foolish just to upgrade just to be latest, with no concern over customers impact.

when php 4.4.5 came out. everybody was eager to have it. oh yea a new one is out good great amazing, then problems came. facts show it.

this means being responsable, thinking about customers and business impact before doing any modifications, that might cost you downtime.

14. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

It's called Risk Analysis, it's amazing how many people don't know how to perform this.

15. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

php 4.4.5 has lots of security fixes and php developers are strongly recommend to update the earlier versions. we are waiting for 4.4.6 because 4.4.5 have some bugs and they are fixed on 4.4.6

16. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have to lean toward katmai's procedure on my larger production boxes but then again who wants to risk any box being down. Well, you have to start installing somewhere so I start with my own extremely low usage box.

When kernels and system updates work fine there, then ill pass it on to the other boxes after a day and checking the forums for the consensus review the second time.

Call me crazy.... scoot over katmai, you got company.. LOL

17. budway

budway Well-Known Member

Sorry but I actually care about my customers site security.

By the way I only updated on the 24 FEB the version was released on 14-FEB.

Hey when the new kernel comes out with security fixes due what you always due mable you will get lucky? (Not Recomended for responsable person's)

PS: Again I'm not the PROBLEM here YOU and PHP are I upgraded to a STABLE version if you treat stable version like that people will NEVER GROW UP.

#17 budway, Mar 2, 2007
  18. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Then why are you running PHP on your servers? :D

Seriously, it's not about jumping onto the next release immediately, it's about knowing and understanding the issues at hand before performing an upgrade on production servers. It's also about having a comprehensive security plan that mitigates, or prevents, a single point of failure.

19. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Exactly. A good example is determining if you require the patch or not. I have many boxes that do not apply to many patches so there is no rush to upgrade those , no need for the down time and no need to risk breaking anything further.

20. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Isn't there a thread around where you requested the RC for this update to be added to easyapache? Seems like you're in an awful hurry! :)

I hear what you're saying about security, but as Ken et al are saying - you also have to weigh usability and do some risk assessing before you jump in head-first.