lup

Aug 2, 2002
Running PHP4 and PHP5 together

Most of my customer's sites are running PHP 4 applications. I am worried about upgrade to PHP 5 because it has some backward incompatibles.

Somebody already obtained PHP4 and PHP5 running together with Cpanel?

Or did you get problems with existent php applications upgrading to PHP 5?

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
In the past few days, we upgraded our servers to PHP 5.0.0, but the vast majority of our clients' Web site using PHP scripts went down. We had no other choice but downgrade to PHP 4.3.8

Please, hold on and don't upgrade to PHP 5.0.0

Thanks!

Sheldon

Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I sugguest using 4.3.8 only for now... Compatibility is a problem.

So until major software vendors and such make their scripts php5 compatible ill be sticking with php 4x it just simply will cause the lesser of the problems for now!

SprintSlash

Jan 18, 2003
Sinewy said:
i just came on to post that :P

Anyway is anyone else seeing "PHP version 4.3.8 " in their cPanels even though in SSH when you do a php -v it shows 5.0.0?
Yeah, I get that too, even in phpinfo() it shows 5.0.0. I asked bdraco and he said it shows the the version of the php your cPanel version uses internally (which I found it quite unnecessary.. since no one really cares what they use internally). It has always been what version the server has (if I'm not mistaken) so I hope it gets changed soon. It definitely will confuse the clients when you're actually using 5.0.0 and not 4.3.8.

wiresix

Jun 1, 2004
FWIW,

When I compile in php_curl with php4.3.8 I get nothing but 500 internal server errors which lead to premature end of script headers in the logs.... and this is on any php executed.... somtehing WEIRD is going on :) Looks like I'll have to stick with CLI curl

-Ryan

monsterhosting

Feb 12, 2004
Vancouver, BC
SprintSlash said:
Yeah, I get that too, even in phpinfo() it shows 5.0.0. I asked bdraco and he said it shows the the version of the php your cPanel version uses internally (which I found it quite unnecessary.. since no one really cares what they use internally). It has always been what version the server has (if I'm not mistaken) so I hope it gets changed soon. It definitely will confuse the clients when you're actually using 5.0.0 and not 4.3.8.
Anyone have a fix for this?

r2d3

Jul 5, 2003
London
i expect we'll have to wait for cpanel to update the version of php it runs on up to 5, but i agree it would make far more sense if version users see reflected the installed server version and not the version cpanel is using.

cpanel ppl - perhaps for now you could just remove the php version number from cpanel

binaer

Jul 6, 2004
hello together, one question:
Does cPanel support on buildapache the installation of PHP5? When yes, how I can make upgrade for the /scripts-Diretory?

kind regards
Pascal