The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHP 5.0.x for Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netmation, Jan 4, 2005.

1. netmation

netmation Member

Any word when PHP 5.0.x will be ready for Cpanel. Current understanding is that it is still in Testing stage with Cpanel?

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    PHP 5.x.x works fine with cpanel. It does not, however, work fine with all php scripts, but this is a problem related to php and not cpanel.

3. netmation

netmation Member

Reason I was asking is my ISP told me PHP 5.0.x was still in "TESTING" mode concerning CPanel approving it's installation. When is it expected to be approved/recommended/fully tested for release with CPanel signoff?

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

It is in testing mode for compatability purposes. If you are on a shared web hosting server, your host will probably be reluctant to upgrade even when it is out of the testing phase. There is no ETA on when it will be out of "testing". Its a fairly new build and there are bound to be many issues, as there are currently with compatability of 3rd party scripts.

5. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The cPanel software itself runs on its own version of PHP, so the version that is installed for the users can and often is, different than the one cPanel uses.

Because of all the compatibility issues between scripts written for PHP 4.x and PHP 5.x, I doubt cPanel is going to call it anything besides testing. not because it will make the server unstable, but because people will blame cpanel for the incompatibilities and they do nto want to deal with that.

Most hosting providers are not upgrading to PHP 5.x because it breaks things like OSCommerce and many, many comemrcial PHP appilcations. The vendors are updating them bit by bit, but if PHP5 is a must, you'll want to look for a host that specifically advertises that that is what they support.

Or you can get your own dedicated server.

6. eeadmin

eeadmin Well-Known Member

OsCommerce Ain't so bad.

If you edit one line in oscommerce I think it is is under admin directory /includes/classes/upload line 31 there abouts $this = null just comment it out and os commerce works.

Just thought it might help to know if you were really interested in making the switch like I was.

7. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Top man !!
    Thanks for the tip. :)

8. netmation

netmation Member

Is there a way that hosts can have php4 and php5 installed. Using php4 as the default so it does not break any existing applications and allow any development work the user would be doing to access .php5 extension files?

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do a forum search for php4 php5 - there are a few threads explaining methods for doing this if you really want to.